18

To my surprise, Jake's mother was not against the idea of her child and two of his best friends getting high. In fact, Jake had a medical marijuana prescription for his anxiety, which was more to my surprise.

Both he and Hannah ate one of the pot brownies as soon as Mrs Dunne brought them up, meanwhile, I sat there hesitating.

Then, after finally psyching myself up, I ate a brownie... and let me just say that it was delicious as hell! It might've been the best brownie that I have ever had in my life!

Delicious enough that I almost went for a second slice before Jake smacked my hand away and warned me that it would not be a great idea.

We were now lying down on Jake's bedroom floor, staring up at the ceiling that seemed to swirl overhead.

"I can feel my thoughts." Hannah says leisurely, high as a flying kite.

Jake and I burst into laughter.

"Those brownies were sooooo goooood." I said, vertigo setting in.

"Agreed. I think we ate heaven." Jake says.

I laughed so hard my lungs hurt.

My throat was dry and It felt as if my entire body was being pricked by pins and needles.

"We should dance!" Hannah shouted exhilaratingly.

"Dude, that's so much effort." Jake stated.

"Definitely." I added. "I can't even feel my toes."

Hannah groaned. "Mean."

The next few hours were spent lying around, except for that thirty minute attempt at playing a game of monopoly, in which Jake somehow ended up with all of the hotels.

Later that day after school was out, I was seated on a stool in the kitchen of my house eating a packet of chips. Pot brownies aside, Mrs Dunne didn't have any snacks in the house and I had the munchies, badly. Luckily for me, my parents were nowhere to be found. Speaking of my parents, they have definitely been acting very strangely as of late. They're rarely ever home, and I know mom is not currently working, so it can't be that. My dad on the other hand had a flexible job, so that explained his absence. Maybe they're at the doctors again? They've been also going to the doctors a lot lately, now that I think of it. Maybe I'm just reading too far into it?

"Where's mom and dad?" Mitchell asked from the archway that connected the dining room to the living room. I didn't even hear him enter the house.

"Out." Was my vague response.

"Okay?" He snatched the packet of chips from my hands and walks out of sight, probably to go upstairs and change for football practice.

I stood up from the stool and walked over to the pantry to retrieve another packet of chips, this time I had chosen a different flavor. I returned to the stool, opened the packet of chips and continued to satiate my hunger.

"Are you stoned?" Grayson wondered.

With an uncontrollable smile on my face, I answered his question with a nod and heavy eyelids.

"Dude, what if your parents come home and see you?" He asked in a whisper.

I shrugged my shoulders, shoving another handful of potato chips into my mouth before satisfyingly crunching them.

"So that's why you skipped school today? To go and get stoned?" He wondered, reaching his hand to take some of my potato chips. I managed to keep the packet of stoner food out of his reach.

"Get your own." I told him.

"Rude." He gave a frown, slipping his backpack from his shoulder and setting it down on the bench.

How long is he going to be staying here? I thought to myself, shoving another potato chip into my mouth.

"I am so not ready for practice." Mitchell complained as he reentered the kitchen. "My arm hurts so fucking bad from when I tripped over earlier."

I laughed.

"Don't laugh, it's not funny." Mitchell punches me in the arm.

Ouch!

"I don't know, it is kind of funny." Grayson says.

I zoned out of their conversation and continued eating. Thank god for potato chips.

"Dal?" Mitchell's raised voice snapped me back to the present.

"Huh? What?"

"I said how did you get home so early?" He wondered.

"Oh, didn't he tell you? He skipped school to go and get stoned." Grayson told Mitchell.

"What?" Mitchell snapped. "Are you serious? You skipped school to get high?"

If I weren't so chilled out, I would have punched Grayson in his stupid face!

"Yeah?" I said, completely unbothered as I ate the last chip from the packet.

"Mom and dad are going to murder you!" Mitchell stated, and he was probably right.

"I'll be fine." I lied.

"You are such an idiot! Honestly!" Mitchell voiced his disapproval. "Skipping class, now you're getting high? What the hell is wrong with you?"

I turned to face Grayson, glaring at him. "Thanks a lot, narc."

"I was just-" Grayson started before I cut him off.

"I don't care! You're both so annoying!" I turned to Mitchell. "And why do you have to keep treating me like a little kid?"

"Maybe if you didn't act like one." He says.

"It's none of your fucking business what I do! You don't see me criticising you for every little thing that you do, which, let's be real, you do way more stupid stuff than I do. Wow, I got stoned with my friends for the first time, who cares?"

They were too stunned at my outburst to speak.

"Just leave me alone." Rolling my eyes, I hop off of the stool and make my way towards the staircase. A nap sounded like absolute heaven right about now.

"Have fun at football practice, morons." I said, traipsing up the stairs towards my bedroom.

I open my bedroom door and walk in, closing it behind me before slipping my shoes off of my feet and slumping down onto my bed.

I swear that I have never felt this tired before in my life. I closed my eyes and allowed sleep to embrace me.