20

"Because, I like you." He said, causing my heart to almost come to a stop.

What?

Cody liked... me?

I was too stunned to speak. My mouth was agape as I thought of something, anything, to say, but i just couldn't form the words. I mean, what do you say to your best friend who simultaneously just came out and admitted that he liked you?

"I know that we're best friends... but I see you as more than that, I have for awhile now."

Oh...

"I didn't know." Was all I could manage to say.

This was hella confusing for me. How long had he liked me? And how have I not noticed it before?

"I'm sorry." He says, a hint of panic in his tone. "I just ruined everything, didn't I? Can we just forget I said anything?"

"No, it's fine... I just. It's a lot." I say.

"Do you hate me?" He asked, desperately.

"No, I could never hate you." I smile. "I just... I need time to wrap my head around this."

Even as I said it, I felt guilty. Cody had just expressed his feelings to me, and I didn't know what to do about it.

"Okay." He says, his tone of voice low and withdrawn.

"Uh, I'll see you tomorrow before you go to camp?"

He forced a smile on his face. "See ya tomorrow."

I exited his vehicle, standing on the driveway and waving him goodbye.

I needed to talk to someone about this, but how can I? I can't just randomly ask someone for advice by saying that my guy best friend just said that he liked me, as in more than a friends. That would mean outing him.

He reversed out of the driveway, and the second that he was out of sight, I exhaled a breath I didn't realise I was holding. As I slowly walked towards the front porch, panic began to set in.

I open the front door and step inside, taking a moment to breathe.

"There you are." Mom appeared in the foyer, a smile plastered on her face.

"Hey, mom." I gave a reluctant smile, my thoughts still stuck on the fact that my best friend likes me.

"What's wrong?" She asked, as if she could see into my mind.

"Nothing." I lied.

"I'm your mother, I know when you're lying to me." She says.

"I'm fine." I say, slipping off my shoes and setting them in the shoe box.

"If you say so." She offered me a smile before heading into the living room. She paused, turning back to face me. "Oh, before I forget. Your father and I will be heading out of town tomorrow, and we won't be back for a week."

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Your father decided to take us on a late honeymoon." She says. "And I know that your brother and Grayson are going to the camping trip..."

"So I'll be alone?" I frowned.

"Unless you want to go camping with your brother, and your friends? Aren't your friends going to be there?"

Yes, my friends will be there, Cody included. I didn't even know my sexuality at this point, how on earth was I going to deal with the fact that he has a crush on me?

Did I like him back? I'm not sure. I've never really seen Cody in that way before. I've never really seen anyone that way before. And what happens if I don't feel the same way, will that ruin our friendship?