Chapter 36

My ankles dangled off the tree branch I'd been perched on, laced into shiny pink pointe shoes. I crossed and uncrossed them, fingers resting on the flared-out skirt of my dress. Everything sounded hazy, as if I were under water. There were enormous trees as far as I could see in any direction, the sun shining prettily onto the endless green grass.

I pushed off the branch with the palms of my hands and hopped down effortlessly, turning without problem despite the grass. My dancing felt long and luxurious. I reached through the arabesque positions, spiraling my arms. With a breath, I felt myself lifted into the air, my face to the sun. I came face to face with Holden, who smiled and grabbed my hand, pulling me with him to the tree branch I'd been sitting on. I grabbed onto the branch and swung on it like an 8-year-old on a set of monkey bars. Holden hooked an arm around my waist, trying to pull me away from the branch, but I held on with all my might. With a laugh, we both fell backward onto the soft grass.

Suddenly, we weren't in that endless field anymore. I sat on the ground at Sincerely Yogurt, my long dress splayed out around me. Holden helped me up and stepped back as I pirouetted, admiring how the dress spun with me. I danced around, dodging tables and chairs. Then I was in Holden's hotel room, my dress a shimmering floor-length ball gown. There were no beds or TV sets, just the empty room. Holden took one of my hands and twirled me into an easy waltz. We waltzed around, filling the room with our dancing.

"Ella?"

I squinted at the voice, loud and clear.

"Ellaaaaa, time to wake up."

I opened my eyes to see Abbie hanging over me and smiled. The imagined sensation of feeling in my right arm was already fading. It didn't upset me like it might have a month ago; the fact that I could still dream the sensation made me a lot happier. I got up and grabbed breakfast, the rest of the dream disappearing from my memory.

***

I looked at myself in the mirror, taking a deep breath. My blue eyes were bigger than they'd ever been, accented in all the right places. Miss Sarah had spent a ridiculously long time creating a perfect look with makeup. She hadn't covered up the scar on my cheek, though. I'd come to terms with the fact that I'd never really be able to cover it up. Abbie had curled my hair for me, braiding and pinning back the strands that fell over my face. I was technically ready for my solo, but my heart wouldn't stop its rapid beating.

"Deep breaths, Ella. You've got this," Miss Sarah said, leading me into the hallway with her arm behind my back.

Corrections swirled in my head until I was actually onstage, underneath those bright lights. I peered into the audience, spying my family and friends. When they announced my name, the applause seemed to go on forever. Finally, my music started and the rest of the world fell away. I didn't think about dancing. I trusted that my body would do the steps, however battered it had become over the past year. I could almost pretend that the paralyzed arm was just part of the dance, that I would walk off the stage and high-five somebody with my right hand like nothing had ever happened. The judges would compliment me on how realistically I'd portrayed paralysis. But the thing was, I had an identity now. I wasn't just 'the National Champion that one year,' I was the National Champion who'd gone through an awful experience and come out dancing anyway. And honestly? I wouldn't trade that for the world.

I almost didn't realize that the music had stopped. I looked out at the audience one last time, seeing nothing but tears from Miss Sarah. Everybody was quiet for a few heartbeats, then the cheering started. I closed my eyes for a split second to take it in. This was what I loved.

***

I draped a jacket over my shoulders and hurried to the auditorium to watch Abbie's solo. She was beautiful and absolutely flawless, made of long legs and pretty blonde hair. Watching Abbie dance gave me as much of a rush as performing myself. I knew, as she finished the most impressive turn sequence I'd ever seen her execute, that she was going to win. I was as sure about Abbie as I was about my juniors. When the dance ended I rushed backstage once more, meeting Abbie before she could escape to the dressing room. She beamed at me and I beamed back. Without a word, she looped her arm around mine and we made our way back.

I'd seen Holden in the audience before my solo, but I didn't know where to find him now. Abbie helped me put my purple crop top and skirt on, then pulled my hair into a ponytail and wrapped a ribbon around it.

"You'll be amazing. Both of you," she remarked.

"You and Tristan will be even better," I assured her with a wink.

"I don't know," Abbie started, "I have a feeling like the Ella-and-Holden chemistry is back and better than ever. Nobody can beat that."

I smiled. "We'll see."

When I stepped out of the dressing room, I ran right into Holden.

"Oh! Sorry!"

"Don't apologize," he laughed. "And you look beautiful."

I blushed, blinking. "Thank you."

He held out his hand and I nodded. With that, he took my limp hand in his as we walked backstage.

"So, you represent the singer's point of view in this duet, right?" Holden asked.

"I guess I do. I'm Sara Bareilles." I shrugged.

"And she's singing about gravity...So does that make me the gravity?" he asked playfully.

"Well, you do keep me down..." I remarked with a wink.

He poked my side, laughing when I squealed.

We stepped onto the stage together when they called our names. He didn't drop my hand, which we'd rehearsed. We weren't supposed to let go of each other at any point in the dance. For some reason, I wasn't nervous this time. Holden winked and the music started, echoing through the auditorium. The dance started with me trying to step away and Holden pulling me close, then suspending me in the air. I got lost in the dancing like usual, but this felt different. Most of the dance was fast-paced, involving lots of arm twisting and untwisting. I had to trust Holden more than I ever had, more even than in the Fix You dance.

"I think I figured out what I want this dance to mean," I whispered, my back to the audience.

I could tell I'd confused him, but I didn't say anything for the next few 8-counts. Miss Sarah had told us from the beginning to give the dance our own story...and I'd never apologized to Holden for our last duet. I had to make it up to him. I didn't know why I felt so strongly about it now; maybe it was the music and the atmosphere, but I was lost in the dance. And when the slow section came, I didn't really care about the choreography. I cared about the boy whose arms I was wrapped in. I cared that I was supposed to give my own meaning to the dance. So I brought my left hand up to rest on his cheek, rose up on my toes, and kissed him before I could think too hard about what I was doing.

I heard an "oooooh" go up from the audience and Holden let out a breath of surprise when I pulled away. We'd definitely skipped some of the choreography, but we didn't miss a beat. He lifted me above his head for a split second then I was back down, dancing my heart out, very conscious of how tight he was holding my hand in his. I didn't need working nerves to feel it.

When we stepped off the stage, he turned to me. It was too dark in the wings to see the expression on his face. "Ella Ford, what was that? That is no fair, not at all. I kiss you before a duet and you freak out on me, but you throw an unplanned kiss into the choreography onstage? I can't believe you somet-"

He wasn't really mad at me. I could tell. So I shut him up with another kiss, soft and gentle. The darkness didn't seem so harsh anymore. He slowly opened his eyes, meeting my gaze with a smile of disbelief. Suddenly, he pulled me closer and I draped my arm around his neck. I'd always been a classy girl, but after that day I would forever have a reputation as the girl who'd been escorted out of the stage area for kissing Holden Anderson behind the stage curtains.