Chapter 25

Wow, I thought glumly, I really don't have friends.

I was sitting on the floor of my dance room, absentmindedly drawing patterns with my left hand. My phone sat beside me, the screen dark. I wished it would light up with a message from Abbie. 'It's okay, Ella. I should have told you, and I'm sorry too. Let's just forget it and go back to being friends.'

No such luck. I hadn't talked to her since our argument. I'd apologized, like Holden told me to, but she never responded. At dance, she ignored me like I had the plague. Now I was sitting alone the day before the competition that could start my journey to Nationals. No friends, food, or fun. Just boredom. And regret. Yeah, regret that I was such a brat.

I pulled my iPad over and went on Instagram again. I'd been checking it every so often, but I hadn't posted or anything. There were some new pictures on Abbie's account. She posed prettily in a baby blue leotard and white skirt, and I was tempted to 'like' some of the posts. I clicked over to Holden's account. There was a new picture, but it had nothing to do with Madison.

In a sudden bold act, I clicked the middle icon and switched the setting to video mode. My blue eyes stared back at me, big and bright as usual. I held down the red button.

"Hi! It's, um, Ella here. Just letting you all know that I'm okay. And everyone is so sweet to think about me and pray for me."

I smiled at the camera.

"Still dancing, of course. I won't let this thing weigh me down." I shifted the camera to my limp arm.

With my last bit of time, I made a funny face at the camera and let out a little laugh. Hopefully it didn't seem fake. I was feeling quite empty at the moment.

***

The performing arts center where the competition was being held bustled with activity. Girls and boys with studio jackets or sparkling costumes stretched freely in the lobby, all secretly trying to outdo each other. People were everywhere, rushing from one place to the next, stopping to talk, looking distressed, looking pleased... I kept my head down and hoped no one would notice me. I'd feel much better when we got out of this busy area.

"Ella Ford?"

My head snapped up, finding a little girl with heavy stage makeup and a bun.

"Um, hi," I began shyly.

She gaped for a second. "You really are Ella!"

I nodded, tucking a piece of brown hair behind my ear. I didn't have hair or makeup done yet.

"Oh my gosh, can I take a picture with you?" She exclaimed.

I blinked. "You want to take a picture with me?" I echoed, confused.

"Of course! You're my inspiration!"

I glanced behind me, seeing a big smile on Mimi's face.

"Do you have a camera?" Mimi asked, "I'll take the picture for you."

The girl eagerly handed Mimi her phone and stepped back to pose with me. I smiled, hardly believing what was happening.

"Thanks so much!" The girl squealed.

"Anytime," I replied, "And good luck dancing today."

Her eyes lit up and she smiled before bouncing away.

"What just happened?" I asked Mimi.

"I don't know," Mimi replied, "But we'd better hurry to the dressing room before it happens again."

***

I rubbed my lips together, watching the corner of the mirror. I could see Abbie warming up with Tristan, looking nervous as usual. I guess Abbie and Tristan had become the new Ella and Holden, as they each had solos and a hip hop duet together. Holden had a solo for this competition, but he was nowhere to be seen. I knew there were two more solos and a duet from the junior class, as well as the group dance. I hoped the group dance would score high.

"Ella?"

I turned and smiled at Miss Sarah. She grabbed a stick of eyeliner off of the table.

"Close," she commanded. I closed my eyes.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"I think so."

"I think so, too."

I opened my eyes and glanced in the mirror. My eyes looked even bigger than usual, unnaturally huge. I liked it.

"Just go out there and kill it," she advised, "We can change things for the next competition, if necessary."

I nodded. We had a few more stops on the road to Nationals. This was just the beginning.

As she walked away, I admired my costume. It started with a blue top, covered in blue mesh. The mesh was a lot like a shirt and stopped right where black shorts began. Those three pieces were separate parts. It all stayed together with a black sash going diagonally from my shoulder to my waist. That sash was then tied with a blue piece of fabric, which doubled as an arm restraint. This one was much looser than the one in Fix You, though, as I had to use my limp arm near the end of the solo. Miss Sarah had me practice freeing the arm until I had worked out every single thing that could possibly go wrong. That didn't make me any less nervous.

My teeth chattered rapidly as I stood in the wings before my solo. I had made sure to get back there early, just in case. Now I was regretting it, though, since some of the other solos were really good. I glanced around, looking for a familiar face. I needed Abbie desperately now...

"And next up is entry number 142, Ella Ford with 'Out of Reach!'"

I heard clapping and stepped forward, taking my place on stage.

Oh gosh, Oh gosh, I thought frantically. This was all on my own. All me.

The music started and I froze for a second.

Come on, Ella. You're a dancer. You know what to do. Do it.

With a deep breath, I pushed away the thoughts running through my mind and danced.

Had I ever been so lost in something, so far away that I wasn't even myself anymore? True dancing made me feel that way. Each move was connected to the next, like one endless sequence. There was no room in that sequence for the rest of my life. I didn't care what I'd been feeling before. Now was the time for me to forget everything.

I was worn out near the end. Exhaustion pushed me to my limit, but I pushed back. I was upset when the music faded. Even though I'd practically battled it out on stage, I wished my fatigue levels weren't nearly as low. Why couldn't I keep dancing? As soon as I stepped off of the stage, it would all come crashing back. It was like the real Ella was scared to go on stage because she knew that this feeling was coming as soon as the music ended. Nervousness was nothing but anticipation of the end of the dance!

Even so, I had to make my way off stage. I paused for a moment, studying faces. Inspire School of Dance was all grouped in one area, clapping madly. I recognized so many faces. What about the faces of people cheering, clapping, on their feet? I didn't know them. It was crazy to think that they knew me.

***

"And in first place overall for junior groups, we have entry number 58, Rules!"

The junior class screamed with delight, and I felt the air go from my lungs. They had done it! They had won with my choreography!

"What studio are you from?" The announcer asked.

"Inspire School of Dance!" exclaimed Bella, the 'lead' of the group.

"And who is your choreographer?" He asked.

"Miss Ella Ford!" Bella squealed.

I could feel gazes turn to me and I beamed. One of the proudest moments of my life.

It seemed like mere seconds before they had moved on to solos, duets, and trios. I made lots of noise when Abbie and Tristan won first overall with their duet.

"Let's move on to your top 10 soloists," the announcer said.

Dancers shifted in their spots. Everyone was eager for this part of the night.

The announcer began naming routines and dancers, waiting for each name called to stand up front. He named Tristan and Holden, handing them medals and plaques. I counted off on my fingers. Eight dancers so far.

"Alright. The moment you've all been waiting for. Your first-and-second-place soloists."

Everyone was restless. I was actually shaking.

"Second place......."

I was holding my breath.

".....Entry number 145, Abbie Almes with 'Lego House!'"

Abbie's shiny blonde hair reflected the spotlight as she stood, smiling from ear to ear.

"Are you all ready to hear your first place soloist???" The announcer asked teasingly.

I groaned aloud. Just say it, already!

"Entry number....."

There was a long pause, everyone holding their breath.

"142, Ella Ford with 'Out of Reach!'"

I stood to accept first place, hardly believing it. I was going to Nationals. My paralyzed arm and I were going to Nationals!

***

Oh, hey. Haven't updated in a while, sorry! Um tbh I don't even know what's happening in this chapter. Too lazy to re-read it :p

I stayed up till 5 in the morning planning out the whole rest of this story. Fun stuff.

And before I go, I'd like to share a brief little story. So if you don't know me personally, you probably don't know how much I love Megan and Liz Mace, who are twin sisters who sing and also happen to be my idols :) well anyways, I went to their concert last Friday, with a VIP pass might I add, and it was one of the best days ever! I met the twins and they were so nice! I was literally shaking, but Liz came up and gave me a hug, then Megan hugged me too and told me I was adorable :D we chatted a little, then got a picture. They were seriously so sweet, even though I was super nervous! Then during the actual concert, Liz waved to me lots of times (Megan was on the other side of the stage) and their performance was so good :)
And at the end, I got to go up onstage! Yay!

Alright, story over. Vote and comment!!!!!!

~HalleBallet