Chapter 26

Hey guys!!!! So, I usually put a note at the end, but today I'm excited to tell you all that a got a real (and proper) cover for my story!!!! You probably noticed, as it actually looks semi-professional now! :P lol. But here's a big shout out to the lovely PaigeBallet for making it <3 thanks so much! Now you may continue reading...

***

"Congratulations Ella!"

I heard it everywhere. So many people stopped to talk to me, congratulating me. I smiled and laughed, tears pricking my eyes. Who knew so many people would care?

"Could you take a picture with me?" asked a boy about the same age as me.

"Sure," I replied, stepping in to pose with him.

"No, a funny one," he insisted. I cocked my head, curious.

He tapped his cheek expectantly and I giggled, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek.

"Ella Ford kissed me. I can die in peace now!" He exclaimed.

I laughed and shook my head.

"Ells," Mom said, looping my right arm tightly through hers, "We have to hurry up. Sarah's taking everyone out to dinner, and I don't want to miss the bus."

I frowned, looking at the people waiting patiently to talk to me. My 'friends' were all mad at me, so the idea of dinner didn't seem very fun. I knew I couldn't just duck out on dinner, though, and it wasn't like we had a ride home if we didn't go on the bus. With a sigh, I let Mom lead me back to the dressing room.

***

"I'm so proud of you, Sweetie!" My dad exclaimed, pulling me into a big hug.

"We knew you would win," my grandpa added, holding out a 'Congratulations' card.

I smiled and took it from him. "Thanks, Papa!"

He didn't really know much about dancing, but he was just as supportive as the rest of my family, and I was glad.

"You'd better get to sleep," Mom said, glancing at the clock on the wall. I nodded and grabbed my dance bag, dragging it down the stairs with me. I knew I'd probably sleep in late the next day, and I needed to organize my bag for Monday's classes.

To my surprise, my phone buzzed before I could fall asleep. Abbie. 'Congrats. Your solo was amazing. See you Monday.'

I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

***

"Yes, I really appreciate it. Oh, no, don't worry! I'm glad you called..."

I rubbed each of my eyes as I made my way up the stairs, Mom's phone conversations in the background. The kitchen smelled like Mimi's sweet rolls, immediately making my eyes open wider.

"Here," Mimi pushed a plate toward me. I dug in without hesitation.

"Mmmmmm....Fresh out of the oven!" I said to myself.

Nothing in the world tasted better.

"Ella?"

I looked over at Mom.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your pigging out, but we're going to see Jane today."

"Why?"

"Why not?" She countered.

I shrugged. It wasn't like going to Jane's was a bad thing.

It took me a while to scrub the stage makeup off of my face. I stood in the bathroom, violently attacking my face with a washcloth. When I couldn't get it all off, I sighed and gave up. I was just going to Jane's. I brushed out my hair quickly and grabbed a ponytail holder, trudging up the stairs. Mom was sitting at the table, tapping her foot.

"Hair?" I asked.

"We're going to be late," she replied.

I gave her my best puppy dog face and she sighed, taking the hair band from me and pulling my hair into a ponytail. I couldn't do that with one hand.

***

When we walked into the office, I almost turned around and walked back out. Sitting in one of the chairs was an older girl who looked a lot like Jane. She regarded us curiously as we walked in.

Jane smiled at me. "I heard about your competition. So you're on your way to Nationals?"

I nodded, glancing at the girl again.

"That's great, Ella! I'm so happy for you!"

"Thank you."

"So. You have been making a lot of progress since you first came to see me. Do you feel better about your situation?"

I nodded.

"More confident?"

"Yes."

"Even relieved?"

I gave a slight smile. I guess I did.

"Good. Those are all things I can help you with. Some things I can't help you with, though. I'm not a guidance counselor or anything. My Karina, on the other hand, is quite good in those situations."

The girl stood up and held out a hand to shake. I couldn't help but notice that she had a prosthetic leg.

"Nice to meet you, Ella," she said.

"You too," I replied.

"We thought you two could hang out together. Karina's always eager to meet new friends," Jane said.

I turned to my mom. She was obviously in on this.

"We'll drop you off at the mall and pick you up in 2 hours."

***

Karina offered to buy me Starbucks, making me wonder if Jane had told her about me. Starbucks was my biggest addiction.

"Two iced Chai Tea Lattes," she ordered, before I could even tell her what I wanted.

"Um," I started, but she turned and cut me off.

"Are you one of those 'chocolate-and-coffee-milkshake' girls?

"I guess," I replied. I liked my frappuccinos.

"Trust me. This is better," she said, handing me the cup.

We sat down and Karina looked at me expectantly. I took a hesitant sip.

"Oh my gosh! How have I not heard of these things before?" I exclaimed, taking another huge gulp.

She laughed. "Told you!"

We sat in silence for a second, sipping the Chai Tea. Finally, Karina spoke up.

"So. You're 16, right?"

I nodded. "How old are you?"

"I'm 18. Just graduated."

"Oh."

"Yeah. And I'm kind of good with people."

"Is that why your mom wants me to spend time with you?"

"Mm-hm. But I'm not reporting what you say to her, or anything. She helps people live with their disabilities. The thing is, she really likes you and wants to make sure the rest of your life is in check, too."

"I'm fine. I don't really have a problem with anything," I said.

Karina cocked her head. "How are you with your friends?"

I thought for a second, then winced.

"Okay, I guess I might have a little friend problem."

Karina wrinkled her nose. "Don't worry, I had a bit of a friend problem when this happened." She gestured to her leg. "I may have played the sympathy card a few times. Okay, a lot."

I was quiet. Did I do that, too?

"I had to think about what I was doing wrong and fix it before too many people got mad at me. And I was a bit of a brat," she admitted.

"I guess I can be like that sometimes," I said quietly.

"I don't blame you. But other people don't understand, and you can't live like that."

I nodded. "But some things changed between my friends and I, and I didn't really know how to deal with them. I still don't."

"Tell me about it. Maybe I can help."

It's worth a shot, I thought to myself. I decided to start at the beginning. The day I barely remembered, the one that literally changed my life...

***

Alrighty well, besides having a new cover, I actually do have another announcement...

I've been working a little bit on a new story. It's fairytale-themed, but it takes place in modern time. I'd love to post it on here, since this story is kind of just me rambling (to be completely honest, I JUST figured out how it's going to end!). So. If you'd be interested in reading my new story, please leave a vote or comment! Preferably a comment!

Love you all <3

~HalleBallet