Chapter 22

*Abbie's Point of View*

I had diverted a major crisis yesterday, and I was pretty ticked about it.

"Pick up, idiot," I muttered under my breath, holding Lacey's phone closer to my ear.

I knew Holden wouldn't pick up if I called, so I'd borrowed my sister's phone. Maybe an unfamiliar number would work better...

My theory was proven right after the fourth ring.

"Hello?"

"What the heck, Holden?"

I could almost feel him wince on the other end of the phone. "Abbie. Don't start. You don't understand."

"You're right. I don't understand. Please enlighten me."

I tapped my fingers impatiently on my knee, waiting for an answer.

"I don't have to tell you anything," he said quietly.

I let out a huge sigh. "Do you and Ella seriously hate each other so much after such a little accident? Just say sorry. I know you didn't mean to drop her, and it's not like she's hurt."

"Abbie-"

"No. I'm not done. You two argue all the time! You can't give up on her completely. She's like that, and you know it! You can't just use Madison to make her jealous, or whatever else you had in mind!"

"Abbie!"

"Shut up! She finally got over Logan. You have a chance! Give me one more month and I promise I'll get her to like you back, just-"

"ABBIE!"

"What!?"

"I....I blew it."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He didn't say anything. I heard a knock on my door. Probably Lacey wanting her phone back. I ignored it.

"Holden. What did you do?"

"Something stupid. Something really stupid..."

Lacey called my name, knocking on the door again. I ignored her.

"If you don't tell me right now, I will start making assumptions. And you don't want me to make assumptions."

"Abriella Marie Almes, open your door now!" Lacey yelled, banging on the door.

"Fine! I kissed her!"

"ABBIE!!!!!" Lacey wailed.

"LACEY!"

"Give me back MY PHONE!"

I pressed the phone to my ear once more as I stomped over to the door. Holden had hung up.

"Here," I spat at my sister, "Take your stupid phone."

Lacey rolled her eyes at me and flipped her pale blonde ponytail over her shoulder. I was constantly reminded of how much we looked alike. Our personalities, though, weren't nearly as similar. She was younger than me, but constantly deemed the 'sensible' one. Whatever that was supposed to mean. I was a national winner, devoted to dance. There were constantly invitations to dance programs, summer intensives, professional photo shoots. Lacey was a tomboy and couldn't stand the girly world of dance, even with all of its perks.

"Thank you," she said calmly, just to annoy me. Like she hadn't just tried to break down my door.

I grit my teeth and carefully shut the door, resisting the urge to slam it in her face. And when that urge passed, I suddenly realized that Holden had, in fact, answered me. I gasped and grabbed my own phone off of the dresser.

'Did you say what I think you said?' I texted, not really expecting a response.

To my surprise, he replied pretty quickly. 'Don't tell Ella I told you.'

I gaped at the screen for a second, then shook my head. Despite the big mess those two were in, I knew how it would all end. I let out a little chuckle and set the phone down before making my way downstairs.

***

"Seriously."

I rolled my eyes at Holden and held out my pinky finger.

"For the billionth time, I won't tell. Pinky promise."

He eyed me suspiciously but turned and walked into the studio. As if I would mention to Ella what he had told me. She had a fiery attitude at times, and I knew better than to push her buttons.

We had been doing competition numbers for a long time, so going back to ballet class was weird. Miss Sarah popped her head through the door and said, "Warm yourselves up. I'll come back in a second."

We all smiled, relieved that we would be skipping today's exercises. I plopped down on the ground quite ungracefully, then slid into a straddle split and leaned forward, getting my chest to the ground. I did each split before going to the barre and warming up my Pointe shoes, completely absorbed in the springing and rolling of my feet. Finally, Miss Sarah came in and cleared her throat. All the talking stopped and everyone got into their places for the start of the dance.

I found my way to Tristan, my usual partner, in the second row near the middle. We got ready for the beginning of the dance, which was a little bit of partner work. This particular dance was very classical, like something right out of an actual ballet. The class was all in sync at the beginning, like the corps de ballet, except for...

Oh. Ella and Holden. They had the special part. The two were like a pair of principal dancers for this. Tristan seemed to be thinking the same thing, as he bumped my shoulder and glanced pointedly at Holden, standing alone in the center.

"Holden, come here," Miss Sarah sighed.

He walked dejectedly to the front of the room and stood by Miss Sarah, who pressed a button on a little remote for the music to come on. I was suddenly lost in the dancing, though I caught glimpses of him from time to time. He looked pretty miserable. I couldn't tell if it was because he wished he had a partner to dance with, or if he wished he hadn't royally screwed things up with Ella.

***

Anybody with a solo, duet, or trio stayed late at the studio. Holden, Ella, and I had declared a closed-off section of the waiting room right by the door ours long ago, but the awkward silence between the three of us made me wish somebody would break our 'rule' and come talk to me.

Ella had her earbuds in and was tapping the screen of her iPad. She seemed to have fallen back into the weird mood that had gone away briefly on Saturday. I frowned at the things that were different about my best friend. For one, she wasn't wearing a leotard and tights. She had on sweatpants and a tight shirt, something that Miss Sarah would probably scold her for. But the most concerning was the lack of color in her face. Ella always looked tan, even in the winter. Today, however, her face was pale and her cheeks were flushed.

I shifted my gaze to Holden, who was busily texting someone. He smiled at the screen, letting out a little laugh. Ella glanced up for a second, then went back to whatever she was doing. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"Abbie," Miss Sarah called.

I had never been happier to rehearse a dance than I was in that moment.

***

Hi again! What did you think of this chapter being in Abbie's POV? A little change is never bad.

I'll update again quickly :) I honestly forgot, haha.

Vote and comment please!

~HalleBallet