Chapter 10

*ABBIE'S point of view*

"Abbie? Could I have a word with you after class?"

I looked up from tying my hip hop shoes to see Miss Sarah standing over me. "Of course."

She turned, satisfied, and made her way back to the front desk. She taught most classes at the studio, but I had never once come across Miss Sarah teaching a hip hop class. I couldn't even imagine it happening. After tying my shoes and gulping down a granola bar, I headed into the studio and glanced around. Holden hadn't been at dance much lately, and he definitely hadn't been in any of the other classes today. I knew that the upcoming competition was going to be a breeze, but I still wished that I had my hip hop partner to practice with.

Ten minutes into hip hop, Holden finally showed up. I shot him a glare and he shrugged. At least Ashley, our hip hop teacher, seemed as ticked off as I was (and possibly more). She was our youngest teacher and was generally pretty easygoing, but she wasn't above sending Holden to the corner and making him do 50 push-ups.

"I'm sorry," he panted, joining me for the beginning of the dance after he'd finished his push-ups.

"Where were you?" I hissed back.

"Ella's getting a lot worse," he replied.

We split into our staggered lines, too far away to communicate. I thought of Ella while I danced. I knew she was under a lot of stress right now, but I was still a little mad at her for being so rude. And even if I did communicate with her, I wouldn't know what to say. Sorry? Ella didn't like pity. Congrats? That was just out of place.

"Ab, give her a chance," Holden whispered, holding me as I hinged back. He pushed me up and I turned to face him, getting ready for a lift of sorts.

"I don't know..." I said, then stepped onto his hand and jumped as he boosted me up. I twisted, then landed.

"However messed up you thought she was before, she's worse now. She needs you!"

We were split up again for the hardest part of the dance. Even when we were near each other, we were breathing too heavily to talk. I focused on the dance instead of Ella, figuring it was a conversation for later

"Okay, Abbie. Let's put it this way," he started when Ashley announced our 5-minute break. "She's depressed. She thinks everyone will treat her differently. She worries about dance. She worries about brushing her hair and putting it up. Everything bothers her."

"Why wasn't she like this before?" I wondered.

"She was on an anti-depressant. That happens."

I was quiet for a minute. I guess I could see now.

"Holden, this is a little off topic, but the competition is Saturday. What's Miss Sarah going to do about losing 2 duets, a solo, and a main piece of the group dance?"

Holden sighed and shook his head. "I don't know. But I'm going to see Ella before we leave. And afterward the competition, I thought we could all visit her. The whole team. We could bring flowers and a tiara if someone wins."

"Holden," I warned, "You've been spending a lot of time with Ella. You can't mess with her this much. You know how much she likes-"

"Logan?" He interrupted. "You didn't hear what he did to her?"

I narrowed my eyes. "No..."

"Well. Let's just say, she won't be going anywhere with him anytime soon. And he'll be sorry he was such a jerk."

I pondered that one. Something told me I didn't want to know much more.

"Hey!" Ashley called, "Your 5 minutes are waaaaay up!"