Chapter 30

"I need to talk to you," Miss Sarah said, grabbing my arm.

It was late and we had just arrived back at the studio, but Miss Sarah seemed pretty awake. I waited as she pulled someone else over to "chat" with.

"Ella, you know how disappointed I am with your performance today."

I nodded, keeping my head down.

"And Holden, you can deny it all you want, but you and Ella work like magic onstage."

"Yes, I know," he sighed, seeming bored, "We used to get that all the time."

I was glad for the darkness so he couldn't see my blush at Miss Sarah's words.

"Not just that, but your duets are just...I don't know. Intriguing," Miss Sarah said.

"Wait. Don't say you're bringing back Fix You," I pleaded.

Holden elbowed me. "What's so bad about Fix You?"

I ignored him. "Miss Sarah, what are you plotting?"

"Not plotting. Planning. Every single glorious aspect of a new duet."

I glanced over at Holden, who seemed almost as uncomfortable as me. Almost.

"No more love stories," he said.

"I'll file that in my request box," Miss Sarah replied sassily.

"Are you only doing this because you think I won't win Nationals with my solo?" I asked.

Miss Sarah shrugged. "To be honest with you, yes. You have become quite the slacker as of late, Miss Ford."

"Hey!" I protested.

"Ooh. Brutally honest," Holden remarked.

"Don't you both turn on me!" I cried. I wasn't in the mood.

"I'm sorry. Would you like me to hold your hand and tell you you're going to win the entire thing?" Miss Sarah asked.

"No," I grumbled, pouting.

"Great. We'll re-choreograph your solo, Ella, and learn a last-minute duet. It'll be great!"

She clapped her hands together and mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like, "It'll be so romantic."

"NO LOVE STORIES!" Holden and I shouted in unison, glancing at each other in surprise.

She gave a little smirk and turned on her heel, walking over to her car.

"Great," Holden groaned, "No offense to you, of course, but I'm sure Madison will be thrilled..."

"I know," I moaned, not knowing what I had to gain by saying the words on the tip of my tongue, "My boyfriend will be so mad at me."

"Wait, you have a boyfriend?"

"Ella!" Mrs. Almes called, "Come on, we really need to get home!"

"See ya," I said, leaving him sputtering as I made my way to Abbie's car.

***

I waited in the hospital lobby, even though I was quite familiar with the hallways. One of the nurses seemed to recognize me, waving, and I smiled back. I hadn't been here for a while, though it seemed like just yesterday I was discharged for the first time, racing through the hallways with Holden to get to Sincerely Yogurt.

"There she is," I heard, turning to see my dad.

He hugged me and said, "Congrats on your competition."

"There's nothing to congratulate me on," I sighed, "And I'm paying for it with a duet."

"Another duet? With Abbie, or...?"

"Holden," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Sorry, sweetie. Maybe it'll go better this time."

"I hope," I sighed. "Now can we see Papa?"

He chuckled. "No way. Didn't you know that you were here to go skydiving?"

I glared at him, but he pulled on my arm. "Alright, Ells. Let's go."

We walked side-by-side through the hallways, Dad bumping my shoulder to tease me. I elbowed him playfully with my left arm, carefully clutching the envelope in my hand. When we got to Papa's hospital room, I saw that he was attached to various machines with lots of wires, but he was awake.

"I got this for you," I said, carefully approaching him and handing him the envelope.

He slid his finger under the paper and opened it, pulling out a 99 cent 'Get Well' card.

"Aw Ella, this is just what I needed."

***

Alright, be sure to check out my brand new story, "Everything Has Changed"! It doesn't have to do with dance, but there's a lot of music and singing. I think you guys will like it!!!

Vote and comment! :)

<3

~HalleBallet