Chapter 37

After a while of sitting on the stage for awards, everyone got antsy. We played a subtle game of Telephone, ignoring the dirty glares from other studios at our muffled giggles. Everyone seemed to be teasing Holden and I. My cheeks turned red at every comment, but Holden retaliated with witty and playful remarks until the rest of the group gave up.

Abbie poked my side when we really needed to pay attention. The announcer was onto our age category for large groups, and Inspire School of Dance won 1st. I cheered for them, missing being part of that big group. We sat through small group awards, and then suddenly we were onto duets and trios. My heart pounded when we got to 4th place and they hadn't called any of our song names yet.

"In second place, we have dancers Abbie and Tristan with-"

The cheers were so loud that I couldn't even hear the rest of the announcement. Abbie beamed, making her way to the front with Tristan's hand clutched tightly in hers. Tristan didn't seem as excited about the award as her. Instead, he stared down at their intertwined fingers, his face content and happy.

Holden slid closer, wrapping his arms around me in a quick hug. "I have a good feeling about this."

"What, hugging me?"

"No, stupid, our duet. But hugging you is nice too."

I rolled my eyes good-naturedly and stuck my tongue out at him. He just shook his head and grabbed my hand.

"And now, for first place. The judges asked us to take a moment to say how much this duet, in particular, touched them. The hard work and perseverance evident in this dance was nothing short of incredible. Congratulations to dancers Ella Ford and Holden Anderson with Gravity!"

I felt myself being lifted off the ground and spun around in Holden's arms as screams echoed all around us. "We did it Ells! You did it!" He said, beaming.

My cheeks hurt from smiling as I let out a little laugh, which quickly turned to tears. We stood at the edge of the stage with medals around our necks. The announcer held out the microphone, asking for our choreographer and studio. Holden answered, as I was too teary-eyed to say anything. The screams died down and the announcer moved on, but my mind stayed in its happy place as I sniffled quietly.

"Why are you crying?" Holden asked, gently wiping away my remaining tears. I put my hand overtop of his so that he couldn't move it from my cheek.

"I'm just so happy," I replied. "I thought I'd never dance again, but here I am. I won first place just one more time. And it's all because of you."

"It's not because of me," he said with a laugh, "You're the one who went through an awful experience and turned things around. There was no way a paralyzed arm was going to stop you from making your dreams come true. Do you know how proud I am?"

I shook my head. "I feel so stupid."

He poked me hard in the side. "Really!? I just gave that beautiful speech about your awesomeness and all you can say is that you feel stupid?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "The reason I feel so stupid is because you've been here this whole time. You've been my best friend for so long, you helped me more than anyone when I was in the hospital and needed it most. How could I just brush you off like that?"

A huge cheer erupted, making us both jump. Abbie stared at me, amused. "They're announcing the top 10 solos. Ella, you got 7th."

"Oh," I said with a laugh, "That's awkward. I wasn't paying attention."

Holden pecked me on the cheek. "Good job!"

Abbie wrinkled her noise. "Ew. Human contact."

Before she knew it though, the cheers got deafeningly loud and she was being pulled to her feet, just as confused as I had been.