Chapter 20

I didn't return to the studio that week. I was scared of facing any of the dancers, seeing Miss Sarah's disappointment, or talking to Holden. I didn't even respond to any of Abbie's texts. I knew I couldn't avoid dance forever, but I was determined to stay away for as long as possible.

My plan didn't work for long. On Saturday, my doorbell rang. I opened the door to see Miss Sarah staring at me with her hands on her hips.

"Excuse me, Miss Ella, but I was under the assumption that you were teaching the junior class their next group number."

I let out a breath. I had forgotten all about that.

"Um, yes, Miss Sarah. I'm sorry."

She sighed and stepped into my house. "I'm sure you are."

I led her into the kitchen, not sure what she was really here for. She sat at the table and pet my dog gently while I made her coffee with our Keurig machine. I sat down next to her and waited for her to explain.

"We have little over a month until the next competition. We'll be using your choreography for Nationals, if we make it."

I bit my lip. A whole week of practice lost, all because of me. "I'll come every day next week," I promised, "We can catch up."

Miss Sarah sighed dramatically. "Lucky for you, you haven't lost a whole week. For the time being, I've had another student teach the junior class some of the choreography, though we haven't set it to music yet. Just in case."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm sorry," I repeated.

Miss Sarah sipped her coffee thoughtfully. "I'll have you work with my other student from now on. The junior class is already used to the style of teaching."

I shrugged. I felt too bad to argue that I'd rather teach alone. She finished drinking her coffee and looked at me once more. "And Ella?"

I cocked my head, listening.

"I would like you to do a solo."

I didn't say anything. I was in no position to argue with her.

"Alright. I'll see you at 4:30 on Monday. We'll start your solo practice next week."

I nodded and took her empty mug as she got up. I was scared to say anything beside "Goodbye."

***

I put on yoga pants and a Variations shirt before going to the studio. Technically, I wasn't dancing, so I didn't have to wear dance clothes. I liked how the outfit looked on me. I really did look like a dance teacher.

When I walked into the big room, conversations stopped. Everyone looked alert. I realized how much authority I held. A smile tugged at my lips.

"Hello, everyone," I began, "My name's Ella. I choreographed the dance to Rules. I'll be teaching you for the next month or so!"

Giggling broke out among the girls of the junior class. They weren't looking at me anymore. I glanced over my shoulder, to see why their eyes were flicking between me and something else. Holden was watching me intently from the doorway. I was suddenly self-conscious of the way my shirt hugged my waist and how my hair wasn't sleek and shiny like Abbie's. This started to make me mad. He had no right to make me feel this way! Why was he even here? This was my class!

"If you wouldn't mind, Holden, I'm trying to teach my class," I said icily.

"Um. Well, actually, I've been teaching this class for the last week," he replied quietly.

I stared at him in shock. He'd been that student?

Miss Sarah wouldn't have.

She couldn't have.