Chapter 31

I blinked at my reflection in the mirror, turning to see the full outfit. My hair tumbled down around my shoulders, my eyes huge because of the little bit of liner my grandma had brushed on. I grabbed Karina's birthday present and made my way up the stairs, satisfied. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been okay with my appearance.

"Hey Ells," my grandpa said as I slipped through the door.

"Hi Papa," I replied, kissing him on the cheek.

Macie jumped around my ankles, barking to be scratched. I set down Karina's gift and held my hand out, letting her lick my fingers.

"Don't spoil the dog," Papa commanded, shaking his head.

I shrugged. "She's too cute!"

"Ready?" Mom asked, stepping into the kitchen. I nodded, grabbing the car keys off the counter and tossing them to her.

"Nice toss," she said, raising her eyebrows.

I smiled and let myself out the door, mom joining me in the car. I was excited to get to Karina's party, especially because she'd told me multiple times about someone she wanted me to meet. We pulled up to a restaurant I'd been to before, though the last time I'd seen it was years ago. Children would come to run around while adults ate, and teens often rented it out for parties.

"Have fun," Mom said, heading toward the quiet side of the restaurant with Jane and some of her friends. I handed her the gift so that she could give it to Jane and turned to go to the other side, a big open space for dancing.

"Ella!" Karina cried, hugging me as soon as she saw me. Even though it was kind of warm out, she was wearing jeans (probably to cover the prosthetic leg). I gave my best one-armed hug and followed her to a little table past the people already there.

"I have to introduce you to my friend!" She said, sitting down and nodding her head toward the people dancing.

"Aren't they all your friends?" I asked with a cheesy smile.

"Well, yes, but one in particular. He's a family friend, and his sister's a recreational dancer, so he kind of knows-"

"Ella Ford?"

I turned around to see a tall and extremely attractive boy hovering over me.

"-who you are," Karina finished with a shrug.

"Oh. Um, hi!" I managed.

"I'm sorry. Was that creepy? I'm not a stalker, I promise...You're my sister's idol," he said, looking shocked to see me.

"It's okay," I replied with a laugh, "Not the first time that's happened."

I regretted the words as soon as they came out of my mouth. Was I giving the impression that I was self-absorbed?

Before either of us could say anything, Karina spoke up with a wink. "Well, I'll let you talk. I think somebody came through the door!"

Nice one, Karina. I see what you did there.

"Let's start over," I suggested after a second. "My name's Ella. And you?"

"Scott," he replied, "And I have to say, it's a relief that you wear normal clothes. I swear, my sister never changes out of her dance stuff."

"What? I'm wearing normal clothes?" I joked, glancing down at my outfit, "Aw darn, mom must have hidden the dance ones."

"It's alright, I've got your back! You can borrow my purple leotard anytime you want," Scott said, going along with it.