Chapter 19

"Ella!"

Somebody shook my shoulder frantically. I blinked my eyes open against a dull pain in my head, realizing that I was sprawled on the bathroom floor. Despite the faint hum of pain in my head, I scrambled to stand up and get off the floor. Hands helped me up, supporting me.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I said, standing taller.

Abbie frowned. "Oh, Ella. You poor thing! That fall must have hurt."

I gulped and nodded.

"What happened out there? You and Holden looked miles apart."

"I don't want to talk about it," I mumbled, turning my face away from Abbie.

She pulled me into a tight hug, not prying. When she led me out of the bathroom, I was ashamed to look anybody in the eye. They had all probably seen my fall. I didn't want their sympathy.

"Miss Sarah!" Abbie called, pushing the dressing room door open.

My teacher rushed over, inspecting me for injuries. "What hurts? Do you see double? Do you need an ice pack?"

I shook my head.

"Get her an ice pack!"

I let out a sound of protest, looking to see who was getting the useless thing. Where was I supposed to put it? My head hurt a little, but it wasn't like I had any feeling in my arm. Instead of taking in the scene before me, people looking at me weird, someone digging through a cooler, my eyes snapped to a chair at the far back. The golden hair caught my attention, revealing a very distressed Holden with his head in his hands. I'd known him for a long time, and I'd seen almost every emotion out of him. But I had never once seen Holden Andersen cry.

He raised his head, as if sensing my gaze, and looked directly at me. His face was wet with tears.

I swallowed and squeezed my eyes shut. When I opened them again, Holden was gone.

***

"Ella, dear, I need to talk to you."

My mother and grandmother were in the room with me, talking soothingly. I knew I was being distant with them, but at least I wasn't crying. Did that make me brave?

"Yes, Miss Sarah," I mumbled.

She glanced at Mom and Mimi. "Would you mind if...?"

"Oh, of course," Mom said. "I was just going to get her some tea in the lobby, anyway."

The two of them made their way out of the hotel room, leaving the door to shut with a faint click. I waited a second before looking at Miss Sarah.

"The group got first, if you wanted to know."

I nodded. I knew they would.

"Your duet got a mention. Holden accepted a medal for you. Everyone was very pleased to know that you were okay."

I stayed quiet.

"Are you okay?"

She had stressed the first word, somehow hinting at more than a physical injury. Was I okay? I wondered.

"I suppose. It's all rainbows and lollipops in my life right now," I replied. I was feeling too depressed to appreciate the sarcasm in that comment.

Miss Sarah sighed. "You're not dumb, Ella, and neither am I. You and Holden were fine just before you went out onstage. As soon as you stepped out, though, I could sense that something was wrong. You two didn't connect the way you usually do. You didn't connect at all..."