Chapter II

[II.] Creeping Frost

Sunlight crept into her chambers at dawn, rousing her from sleep at an early hour

Cassandra blinked the drowsiness from her eyes as she became accustomed to the bright yellow rays that have settled in her chambers. She had long been used to waking up early from her years in King's Landing. 

Her aunt, Queen Rhaella, had been fond of watching the sun rise from within her solar and she had always kept her company, the warmth of the rays being a welcome feeling in such a dreadful place. 

Even after she had gone home to Storm's End and traveled here, to the Eyrie, the sun would forever be a constant companion to brave the day ahead. That was the thought that ran through her mind as she hurriedly dressed and left her chambers. 

Having had a tour from her brother the day before, Cassandra made her way to the solar. The solar was located at the end of the hall of tapestries, each one depicting a history of the keep. Upon reaching the solar, she decided to settle into one of the oak-and-leather chairs, her shoes brushing along the Myrish carpet. 

Moments passed and soon enough, the sun was high in the sky. Time had slipped from her mind and she simply desired to make the most of her time here, especially since she will be returning home in no time. 

Though she wanted to spend more time with her brother, she had heard some servants whispering that he had only returned from a tavern in the early hours before dawn. How freely he was living despite being the heir to one of the great houses of Westeros. 

Lost in her own thoughts and in her own company, she failed to hear the sounds of someone approaching. It was only when a tray of food was placed on the trestle table did her thoughts come to a halt.  

Her eyes fell upon a sheepish-looking Ned Stark, a tray of food in his hands filled with bread, butter, stew, and fruits. "I thought you might be hungry, my lady." 

"My lord, you did not have to." Cassandra stood from her chair to approach him. 

"You are a guest here, my lady." He replied simply, offering her a plate already filled. 

She chuckled softly, accepting the plate from him. "Truly you did not have to go through all this trouble." 

He answered, the corners of his lips lifting at the sound of her twinkling laughter. "Truly I wanted to." 

She said, taking a seat at the table before waving to the seat across from her. "Very well, I will accept but only if you shall keep me company." 

He admitted as he sat in front of her. "I fear I am not very lively company, my lady."

"Good. I simply wish to enjoy the morning with meaningful conversation." She said, going on to ask him. "Now, how did you know I would be here?"

"Your lady's maid told me you would be here." He accepted the plate she offered him with a smile.