Chapter XXV

[XXV.] Until the End 

] Until the End 

Sunspear
284 A.C.

When Cassandra imagined her wedding day as a child, she had pictured the cliffside of Storm's End. 

She had always known she was expected to marry for her family. Rather than imagining the person she was supposed to marry, she had busied herself with the details that it came with. 

Like every young girl, she had planned the most meticulous details. She had spent many days in the gardens, giggling with Ashara as they spoke of lavish weddings filled with dancing and all the sweets that they can conjure up. 

Though it was rare for them to witness weddings, they often used the balls and parties they attended to decide which details they would like to include. 

Cassandra could remember how Ashara would plan the most bizarre of events with many animals invited instead of guests and sweets instead of wine. 

As for Cassandra, she had wanted to marry in the late afternoon, with the sun beginning its descent as colors painted the sky in various shades. It always looked majestic when she would peer out of the window of her chambers. 

She had wanted to marry with a flowing white dress decorated with pearls threaded through the very material. She had wanted her hair to be in a decorated updo with jewelry decorating her arms and neck. 

That all changed when she became betrothed and what was once at the cliffside of Storm's End became the Weirdwood tree at Winterfell with snowflakes falling around her. 

A flowing white dress was replaced by a thick fur cloak and the faceless groom took on the somber face of Ned Stark whose smiles were as rare as his temper. 

For a while, she had been content with that image. It may not have been what she pictured but it was still a great deal better than what others expected, especially when most marriages between nobles are loveless and cold. 

Yet with the events of the past year, that image was extinguished into nothing and so were all ideas of wedding ceremonies and celebrations. In fact, the idea of getting married seemed almost bizarre.

Cassandra was forced back into the present when she felt hands settle a cloak on her shoulder, a cloak decorated with black and gold stags. Their antlers looped in elaborate shapes, the fine threading making it look extravagant. 

She smiled gratefully at the ladies who were helping her get ready. They had been with her every step of the way. 

From having a gown made to picking out the jewelry she was to wear up to choosing a hairdo that would still look beautiful with a clear veil. 

They were nosy at times but she welcomed their conversations as she often found it difficult to start talks of her own. 

After Lord Arryn had settled talks of the betrothal and the alliance, successfully ending the uprising, he wasted no time in returning to King's Landing.