Chapter IX

[IX.] Unexpected Meeting

] Unexpected Meeting

"You?" 

Cassandra and the man looked at each other pointedly, assumingly in a state of shock upon seeing each other again, in the wedding feast of all places. 

She closed her eyes, opened them, rubbed them, and even pinched herself on the arm but it was no use. The man in front of her was the same man she saw the day of the tourney, the same man she encountered in Flea Bottom, and the man she met in the godswood the night before.

"Elia?" Both of them said at the same time, turning to the woman who had wanted to introduce them to each other. A confused expression bloomed on their faces, lost as to what was happening.

"Do you two already know each other?" Elia questioned, her eyes sparked with interest as she looked between them. 

"Erm, no?" Cassandra blurted though it came out more as a question than anything with the mystery man nodding along with her, also in a state of shock. 

"Very well. Seeing as there is some confusion here, let me introduce you two. Oberyn, this is one of my dearest friends, Cassandra Baratheon. Cassandra, this is my younger brother, Oberyn Martell." Elia introduced, clearing the air as the two finally saw each other as who they really were. 

"Lady Cassandra, a pleasure to meet you at last. You are as beautiful as I remember." Oberyn greeted, bowing to her as he had in all the times they had seen each other in the past, a mischievous smile as he did so. 

"Prince Oberyn, it is an honor to meet you. You are as insolent, I mean, as interesting as I remember." Cassandra curtsied back, hiding a smile. 

Elia's gaze shifted from her brother to her friend, her eyebrows furrowing. "Are you sure you don't know each other? Because from what I am seeing, it seems you two know each other very well." 

Oberyn mused, revealing the truth to his sister. "Elia, she is the woman I saw yesterday. The woman I saw in Fl-" 

Cassandra pushed forward, shoving a piece of bread from the table into his mouth, almost making him choke on the crumbs. "Shh! Do you have to shout it out loud for the entire feast to hear?" 

Elia snapped her fingers, coming to the realization herself. "Flea Bottom? Oh! When you visited the children!" 

Between the two siblings, Cassandra could only cover her face as she hoped that none had heard their exchange. "Seven hells, kill me now." 

Elia laughed, hugging her friend to her side affectionately. "Don't worry. Oberyn will keep his mouth shut if he knows what's good for him."

Oberyn finished chewing the bread in his mouth, raising a finger. "Yes, please do not shove another piece of bread in my mouth." 

"I will leave you two to get reacquainted while I resume my duties as a hostess." Elia waved to them, untangling herself from her friend. 

"Elia, no." Cassandra said, refusing to let her go.