Chapter XXIV

[XXIV.] Burning Kisses

Cassandra had always loved children

When Renly had been born, she had been thrilled sitting by her mother's side to get the chance to hold his tiny body in her arms. His large eyes had looked up at her and she swore to be the best sister she could ever be. 

She had played with him and kept him company whenever she would finish her lessons. He had been a wonderful infant and an even better behaved child which made it easy to take care of him. 

She had adored him and when the time came for her to go to King's Landing, it broke her heart to leave him in Storm's End. 

When she became one of Elia's ladies, she had always helped take care of both Rhaenys and Aegon. They were quite fussy but very sweet. As their aunt of sorts, spending time with them only made her want children of her own. 

She admits that she has thought of it maybe once or twice in the past but she had been honest to Oberyn when she told him that she wanted many children. 

That had remained unchanged. Although she had not thought of having children with Ned, she was now even more unsure since she would be marrying Oberyn of all people.

As of the moment, she even doubted her resolve in wanting children if they would lead to such troubling circumstances. 

Circumstances in which she would have to kiss a man she barely knew. 

Arianne Martell was insistent on them proving that their marriage grew from their esteemed fondness for each other. Gods, as if they had not just sorted their disagreements earlier in the day.

"Well?" Arianne asked, looking up at the two of them expectedly. Her eyes shifted between them, waiting for something to happen. 

Seven hells, she could not think of another moment in which she was more embarrassed. She was sure that her cheeks were red if the warmth she felt was any indication. 

Oberyn was no better, his mouth open in shock resembling that of a fish out of water. If she wasn't put on the spot with him, she would have been cackling at his reaction. 

"I-I don't think that would be proper." Cassandra stuttered when he did not show any sign of answering for them.

"Why not?" Arianne questioned, her frown widening as the guests became more restless at her reaction. After all, at the end of the day, she was still a child. 

"Because we are unmarried. Besides you have seen me kiss Cassandra's hand many times. We will kiss when we marry." Oberyn said, clasping his hands as a way of ending the conversation.