Chapter XXXIII

[XXXIII.] Even When You Don't

] Even When You Don't

"No." 

"Lady Cassandra, please!" Arianne begged, putting her hands together as she did so, making her eyes widen. 

"Milady, it is fun!" Owain added, jutting out his bottom lip as he tried his hardest to bat his eyelashes at her, failing miserably as he blinked slowly. 

Cassandra avoided their gazes as she crossed her arms over her chest, not budging at all even at their adorable pleas. "No, a million times no." 

While in the past, she would have given the two children anything they asked for, this was the one thing she could not stomach for both fear and humiliation. 

It was the one thing she had avoided, even in Storm's End. Her brothers would tease her endlessly whenever she would opt to stay behind and have a warm bath from the safety of her tub. 

"It is just swimming!" Owain protested, already splashing around in his white tunic in one of the numerous crystal-clear pools. 

When the weather had gotten hotter than normal, Arianne pleaded with her father to allow a trip to the Water Gardens. It was a trip that even Doran Martell could not refuse for the good memories in that place. 

The Water Gardens, as Cassandra had been told, was a summer palace located a few leagues west of Sunspear. The grounds and courtyard were laid out in pale pink marble and the terraces overlook the numerous pools and fountains.

There were blood orange trees surrounding the vicinity contrasting the blue of the pools with other bright colors. The hot temperature was of no matter with the cool breeze blowing from the sea nearby. 

Cassandra had always found Dorne beautiful but the Water Gardens were heavenly. It would have to be her favorite place in Westeros, not that she would tell Oberyn that. 

"I am perfectly capable of keeping watch on you two from right here." Cassandra returned, popping a grape into her mouth. 

"What's going on here?" Oberyn's voice rang from the opening of the triple archway leading into the pool as he walked in with a purpose. 

He looked absolutely dashing in the Water Gardens, as if he truly belonged here. He had ditched his mustard robes for dark-colored tunics that were somehow open at the chest area at all times. 

Cassandra would be lying if she said that seeing him dressed like that did not elicit a swoon from her internally. 

He definitely looked better rested, the bags under his eyes had disappeared completely and his skin glowed bronze instead of the pale color it had been. 

Ever since they had started sleeping in the same bed, the nightmares have plagued them less, allowing them nights of uninterrupted sleep. A good thing for everyone but Owain whose training had to be moved later in the day.