Chapter XII

[XII.] The King's Wrath

King's Landing282 A

King's Landing
282 A.C

"You're growing too fast, little one." 

Cassandra remarked, carrying a laughing Rhaenys in her arms. The infant she had carried from the time she was born was now a young child. It was almost a testament as to how much time had passed since then. It felt like a dream long ago. 

After the dreaded tourney of the past year, everyone had been tense. The entire realm had held its breath, wondering what would happen next and preparing itself for the worst. Even Cassandra had written to her brothers about her worries, though they had assured her that all would be well. 

After some moons, things had settled. They had returned to King's Landing where they continued as they had before all the events at Harrenhal. Cassandra still sat by the queen and played with Viserys whenever her aunt was too tired. 

In the afternoons, she spent time with Ashara, Elia, and the children, talking about the most trivial of things like food, dresses, gossip about the people of the court, and many more. She was also able to find time for Owain and the other children on the days she was free. In a way, things were back to normal. 

"It's because I've been eating all my vegetables, Aunt Cass." Rhaenys answered proudly, squirming in her arms. 

Holding the girl to her waist, Cassandra nodded thoughtfully, tickling her. "My goodness. You're sure to grow even more then. Soon, you'll be taller than the Titan of Braavos, reaching past the clouds." 

Rhaenys giggled even louder, tucking her head into her aunt's neck, feeling comfortable in the position she was held. When the little girl had settled, Cassandra hummed a soft lullaby, the same one she sang to her as an infant, and in no time, Rhaenys was fast asleep. 

"You're so good with her." Elia praised quietly, holding Aegon to her as the infant gurgled happily. 

"She's had enough practice. Time to be a mother, Cassandra. Go on." Ashara mused, pointing in the general direction of the North. 

"Ashara!" Cassandra gaped at her friend as Elia snorted at the comment. 

"What? You'll be married soon. You should give me more nieces and nephews to care for." Ashara retorted before noticing that her friend was not smiling as she usually did. "What's wrong?" 

"Nothing." Cassandra answered curtly, cradling Rhaenys as she turned away. 

Ashara approached her, now worried as to why she was acting differently. "It's not nothing. Have you changed your mind?" 

Cassandra replied, her conviction strong. From the time she had been promised to him, he had done nothing to change her mind. He had been absolutely perfect. "No! I do want to marry Ned."