Chapter XX

[XX.] Sunny Waters

] Sunny Waters

Sunspear
283 A.C.

Oberyn let his spear fly, watching it land a good distance away.

The spear's blade hit the target precisely in the center, where the heart was supposed to be. His tanned skin glistened with sweat under rays of sunlight as his chest heaved from exertion. 

He had been training since the early hours of the morning, needing an outlet for his anger. His nightmares always pulled him from sleep, forcing him to remember his failures as a brother and as an uncle. 

Being roused from his slumber, he would hunch over his desk, conjuring over a  hundred plans to aid their rebellion against Robert Baratheon. 

Once the sky became painted with rays of light, he would don a light attire to train the courtyard until he had exhausted every part of himself. It was never enough to tire him out, never enough to make him forget his rage. 

When news of Elia and her children's murders reached Dorne, Oberyn felt the moment his heart broke within his chest. 

Hearing word of how it happened and how helpless he had been to stop it forced tears from his eyes. Only sheer will prevented him from crying in front of his brother and the messenger. 

It was when he was alone in his chambers that he allowed himself to fully break. She had been the one person he looked up to, the one person he trusted above all. She had died and he had not even been there to protect her. 

He had been clueless about all of it.  

However, once the despair passed, only a need for revenge remained. Now, all he found himself living and breathing for was the hope that one day, he would make Tywin Lannister and everyone complacent in the murders pay for what they have done. 

Starting with overthrowing Robert Baratheon as king.

Oberyn shook himself from his stupor as he picked up another spear, drawing back and throwing it as hard as he could. It hit the target near the first spear, landing with a loud thud. His arm burned with exhaustion but he did not care as he picked up another. And another. 

"Your brother requests your presence in the Tower of the Sun, my prince." A servant spoke up, having waited till he had thrown all his weapons at the target. 

"Did he say why?" Oberyn asked, picking up a piece of cloth to clean the sweat off him. 

They had already spoken the night before about getting a message to the Targaryen loyalists still on Dragonstone so he had no idea why his brother would be calling on him again so soon.