Chapter VIII

[VIII.] Auspicious Alliances

Cassandra stared at her reflection in the mirror for she almost could not recognize herself

Mara had worked wonders, braiding her long raven hair in a delicate yet elegant style. Her face held simple powders to make her pale features shine through and with some rouge, her lips and cheeks had a vibrant color to them.

Cassandra was dressed in her new gown made of pale gold silk and lined with black thread. She wore a gold necklace with a stag pendant and a simple wristlet. On her hand, she had on two gold bands, decorated with a stag horn design.

"Thank you, Mara. I truly do not know what I would have done without you." Cassandra said, showing her gratitude to the woman who had helped her get ready. Without her, who knew what kind of mess Cassandra would show up in?

"Of course, my lady. As long as you dance and enjoy your time." Mara said, giving her a knowing look, having heard from the other servants that the Starks had arrived the night before, just in time for the festivities.

Cassandra shook her head at the woman's insinuations, waving as she moved to leave her chambers. "I shall see you later then, Mara. Make sure to enjoy the festivities as well."

Outside her chambers stood her brother, dressed in their house colors as well. A pale gold doublet with etchings of black thread in the shape of antlers. His hair was swept back for once and he whistled to himself.

"Took you long enough. I had half a thought that we would be late for the ceremony if you took any longer." Robert snorted, looking at her and offering her his arm.

"Some of us actually take the time to draw a bath and clean ourselves." Cassandra shot back, slipping her arm around his as he guffawed at her words.

Robert led the way through the twists and turns of the Red Keep until they reached the carriages set aside for the guests. "Will the princess not look for you? I had thought that you and Lady Ashara were her ladies."

Cassandra shook her head as they descended the stone steps to where many were already waiting. "No, she told us yesterday that she wished to be accompanied by her family. Her brothers will be with her."

"I see." Robert nodded thoughtfully, heading to the carriage meant for their family, where Stannis was already waiting inside. "I suppose that is what you want for your wedding as well."

"Maybe. Granted that I am not cross with you that day. If I am, I might just replace you with a stuffed stag head, I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference." Cassandra teased, sitting beside Stannis who stifled a laugh at her words.

"Very funny." Robert deadpanned as the carriage began to move forward, taking the three of them to the Sept of Baelor where the ceremony would be taking place.

Cassandra looked out the glass window to see the people having their own merry-making events with ribbons being twirled around wooden posts, songs being sung by traveling bards, and flower petals being thrown into the air.