Chapter V

[V.] A Tragic End

For the first time in some time, things had been going well in Storm's End

Robert had returned home to take on some of his duties as the future lord of Storm's End. Stannis's hawk had healed nicely and could now take flight, bringing much joy to the usually somber lad. 

As for Cassandra, she had found time for herself, visiting the citizens of Storm's End. She had also been corresponding with Ned and getting to know him more. Though she considers him as one of her friends, she supposed it would take more time to see him in that light. 

Her father and mother had taken one of their ships, the Windproud, to travel to the Free Cities of Volantis, the two of them on a quest from the king to find Prince Rhaegar a suitable bride. Preferably one of noble birth from an old Valyrian bloodline. 

A week ago, her father had written to report that they found no such woman. However, they had found a jester named Patchface that could supposedly merit a smile from her typically serious brother. 

Although they had not found a bride, there were supposed talks that the king was planning on replacing Lord Tywin Lannister with her father for the position of Hand of the King. It was a role of the highest honor and everyone agreed that it would be very good for their family. 

"Are you sure they're due to be back today?" Cassandra asked for the third time as she tried to spot the Windproud from amongst the waves. 

The three siblings were currently in one of the towers, awaiting their parents' arrival. The tower's height was high enough to be able to see the eastern coasts of Westeros. Worry started to fill her being as storm clouds brewed over the coast, droplets of rain beginning to fall from the sky.

"Yes, I am sure of it." Robert insisted, pulling her back into the shade to prevent her from getting sick. "You could catch a cold, stop fussing." 

Cassandra stuck her tongue out at him, still trying to look into the harbor. "I am not fussing. I am just excited for them to return so that I do not have to answer to you anymore." 

Robert ruffled her hair, messing up the careful braids. "Keep that up and I'll push you into the harbor. You can swim to our parents to meet them. Granted, they don't confuse you with a squid and accidentally shoot you." 

"Who do you think Prince Rhaegar's wife will be then?" Stannis interrupted the two, wanting to know what will happen now that their parents failed to find a potential bride. 

"Probably a noblewoman from court? Maybe Lord Tywin will finally get his wish and have his brat of a daughter married." Cassandra teased, recalling the stoic man and his spiteful daughter. 

Ashara had told her stories of the girl who was cruel to the servants and to her youngest brother, often mistreating them with horrendous actions. It would be unfortunate for the prince to be married to such a girl.