Chapter VI

[VI.] A Burst of Sunlight

] A Burst of Sunlight

King's Landing
280 A.C.

Cassandra's hands softly trailed across the white fabric decorated by gold sunbursts. "It's a beautiful masterpiece. " 

"The dressmaker surely has outdone herself." Elia Martell answered, smiling as she is fitted for her maiden's cloak. "I was hoping to have the gown done in the Westerosi style to symbolize the union of our houses." 

It was only a few more days before the wedding of Princess Elia Martell of Dorne to Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. It was the talk of the Seven Kingdoms with the grand ceremony taking place in the Great Sept of Baelor. A wedding that befits a prince and a princess. 

Cassandra had met Elia when the princess traveled to King's Landing after the betrothal at the start of the year. For her ladies-in-waiting, the princess chose those that the queen advised which may have been a slight miscalculation on her part.  

"Oh, how I want a wedding." Ashara sighed loudly from her divan, pouring herself a glass of Dornish red. "I want the wedding gown, the feasts, the celebration, the dancing. How wonderful would that be." 

"You do know that a wedding involves a ceremony where you are bonded to a person for all eternity." Cassandra reminded, grabbing the wine-filled chalice and replacing it with water. 

When Elia chose the two girls as her ladies-in-waiting, she did not expect to gain two dear friends. The two, despite being close companions for years, welcomed Elia with open arms and aided her in everything she might need. 

They made King's Landing home and together, they got into all sorts of mischief. Ashara as the instigator, Cassandra as the one trying to stop it, and Elia as the one who gets them out of trouble. Together, they were the greatest of friends. 

"I forgot about that. Ugh, could I have the wedding without marrying anyone? I just want a feast." Ashara complained, drinking her water grumpily. 

"I'm afraid that's not possible. You could always marry someone." Elia suggested, holding still as final adjustments were made. 

"Elia, how could you even say that?" Ashara's eyes were wide with horror as if the very thought of matrimony frightened her beyond words. 

Elia and Cassandra could not help but giggle in response, amused by their friend's antics and dramatics. 

"It's the truth. I think Cassandra and I could find you a handsome lord to marry." Elia sweetly recommended, her maiden's cloak now finished as she stepped off the pedestal. 

Cassandra stepped onto the pedestal next, getting fitted for a gown of her own, one that was in the color of her house. A very important thing at a grand event such as this. Family names were all that mattered.