Chapter XXXII

[XXXII.] Closer

Change was inevitable

No matter how cliche it must sound or how the word change is repeated over and over again for almost everything, it does not diminish the truth it holds. 

Life was not constant and being surprised at the unexpected things was a redundant chore for those foolish enough to believe otherwise. 

When Cassandra had first left Storm's End to live in King's Landing, this was the first thing she learned about the ways of the world. 

In time, she had come to associate change with something negative for usually the changes being brought about in her life resulted in an event that took a turn for the worse. 

But traveling to Dorne has changed her perspective of everything. Months before, she would never have considered the possibility of being married and enjoying married life yet here she was. 

"Careful. Don't go too far." Cassandra called out to the two young children who had taken off at the first chance they got. 

She certainly could not blame Arianne and Owain for being eager to enjoy such a beautiful day. Especially when they did not have to attend lessons.

The sun was shining brightly with a gentle warmth coating Sunspear. A wind breezed by every now and then, carrying with it the delectable smells of cooking and exotic spices. 

Cassandra was thankful that she was wearing one of the Dornish style dresses, its light fabric being more than enough to protect her from the heat. Her short raven curls hung loosely behind her, no more veil hiding it from view. 

The four of them had ventured to the marketplace just outside the palace walls. Despite being in Sunspear for a few months now, she had yet to visit the famous marketplace, said to have many trade goods from all over Westeros. 

"Too late. We've lost them." Oberyn mused from behind her, coming to embrace her from behind, his large arms encompassing her form protectively. "Shall we commence the search parties?" 

She laughed softly, leaning into his chest. "Let's give them a few hours. They're bound to get hungry at some point."

It had been to the surprise of no one at all when one day, Oberyn leaned over to kiss his wife in the midst of breakfast. 

Servants only shook their heads at the display of affection, subtly exchanging coins upon some bets being won. 

Of course, no one had bet that the wedding would not work out, especially with the looks they had exchanged even before the ceremony. All had agreed that it would only be a matter of time.