After The Storm

Liaison- Chapter 11

I must have fallen asleep because when I open my eyes, steady raindrops are beating on the windows instead of the raging storm that was ripping me to pieces. Holding still, I wait for a course of lightening to fire up the room but after a while it doesn't come.

"You're safe." Corey's voice startles me.

Then the first thing that comes to mind is, Shit! He's going to think I'm a freak, and no doubt want to ask a million questions about my little freak show. Questions that I'm not ready to answer.

I remember him crawling to me but I was in fear's grip and I couldn't fight through to listen to whatever he was saying.

"You're okay now," he tells me again.

His fingers are streaking through my hair massaging my scalp. It's incredibly soothing and a purr creeps out from me.

Shifting, I notice my hands gets tangled in the sheets wrapped around us and when I try to free them my fingers touch his bare skin. At that, his abs tightens then I feel a ripple run through him.

"Are you able to stand up?" My shame and embarrassment heighten after he asked that. I don't want to look at him and I try to get up before he can tell me to move.

"Ow!" A sharp pain tackles my wrist and my knees hurt like a motha, so I slump back down and take deep breaths while I try to access where else on my body hurt.

"Shit! Don't move." Corey says as he gently moves out from under me then he picks me up and carries me across the room bridal style to the makeshift bed.

I could laugh at the absurdity. I could have made the ten steps it took. I just needed to catch my breath. He puts me down then he kneels on the floor in front of me. When he takes my wrist, he flexes it here and there. He's looking it over like a doctor would.

"Can you move your fingers?"

It's a little swore but I can so I nod yes. He's staring at me and I look away. I feel too vulnerable to look at him. I'm just thankful that he is here.

"Don't feel embarrassed about what happened Liaison. A lot of people suffer from phobias."

I didn't want him seeing me like that and what happened is not a phobia but I'm not ready to deal with it so I continue to look around the room. I'm checking to see if I damaged anything.

"Thank you." My voice sounds like a rusty pipe and my throat is sore but I need him to hear that.

"There's nothing to thank me for. I'm just glad that I am here and was able to...help." He breaks off like he didn't mean to say help or isn't sure if that is the correct word to use.

"You did help," I assured him.

He's careful to not let my wrist fall when he lets go of it. Lifting one hand, he strokes my cheek, then the side and front of my neck. He stops and places a finger under my chin then a gentle force pushes my head up and our eyes meet for the first time since I woke up. Suddenly the room is too small for the both of us

"Don't thank me Liaison. I'm just glad that I'm here."

I feel shy as he stares at me. I want to kiss him to thank him properly but I can't. He's engaged and helping a man to cheat is wrong. Doing it will most likely bring bad karma my way.

"Um... how long have we been here, what's the time?" I ask to break the stare and to get away from the intensity of his eyes.

The change of subject makes him reach for his phone and cold breeze fills the gap between us so I pull the sheets up tighter around me. He checks the time and when he's done, he moves back and I welcome the heat that his body brings.