A New Day

Chapter 41 Liaison

I woke up relaxed this morning and I feel lighter today. I guess confessing my secrets has something to do with it because I've carried my burdens for years, too afraid to talk in case people judge me, but I don't feel shame anymore. I feel liberated and I have Corey to thank for it.

I remember his declaration and butterflies take flight in my tummy. He loves me and I feel just the same. However, I want to find out if his feelings as changed since last night.

I haven't seen him since I woke up and I've spent the past hour looking for him. Now I'm making my way through the casino. I don't know why I choose to come this way because I've never seen Corey gamble before.

The sound from the slot machines and dispensing coins fills the room, and the people surrounding them are merry as they drink and gamble what would take me a lifetime to accumulate. I still find it unbelieving how much money these people have to their disposal so I stop to take in the scene and a couple strolls pass. Watching them, they stop at a door where a man is standing guard. When they show him their passes, he steps aside to let them pass.

Curios I dig in my front pocket and draw out my pass. Corey said it gives me access to anywhere on the ship so I walk up to the guard and show it to him. He checks it then moves aside to let me pass. I've no idea where I'm going or what I should be doing so I keep back and watch the couple.

When they reach another door, they pull out their passes again and I do the same. After they scan it, I do too. Two seconds later the door opens and we get transported to another room.

Inside this new room, there are people sitting in lavish chairs staring at monitors in front of them. It's hard to see exactly what they're looking at but pictures of various things are running across them.

Those who aren't looking at monitors, pay attention to a man standing on a raised platform in the middle of the room. Above his head is a large screen. It too has various objects flashing across it. If I'm to guess, I'd say I just entered the auction room.

Not knowing where to go, I move through the space while I look to see if I can see Corey, and I spot him sitting in a quiet corner with his face set in deep concentration as he stares at his monitor.

With my eyes on him, I carefully navigate through the busy room to where he is and when I almost reach him, his eyes snap in my direction.

I don't know why I've become shy; I had so much planned in my head but all I manage to say is, "hey."

He stands to kiss me and I taste whiskey on his tongue and it makes me wonder if I'm the reason he's been drinking.

"How are you feeling?" He asks lifting his hands to cup my face. "I mean, I didn't expect you to be out so soon..." He tells me as he smooths out my brows. "Are you ok?" he quiz brushing stray hairs off from my face.

"I'm fine..." Before I finish, he bends to search my eyes for the truth and because I really do feel fine, I tip to kiss him. "I was looking for you. I missed you this morning. Are you okay?"

He doesn't answer and I see how he tries to hide the wariness on his face. I should question what's on his mind but I'm waiting for the right moment because I know whatever it is, has to do with last night.

He takes my hand and when he sits, he pulls me down to sit on his lap. After that, he tells me about the auction taking place. He reaches around me to flick through the pictures on the screen then he points at an extravagant looking boat. I really should stop calling them that because this one is more like a ship.