Eight

For the first time by Mac DeMarco is a good song for this chapter I think.

Flashback

five years previous

"Follow me Ni'awtu!" He says, pulling the girls hand a long with him.

The fires are lit. As they run up to the scene the water people yell and pray to Eywa.

The area is also lit by the glowing blue ocean beside them. This is one of Ni'awtus favorite times of the year. 

Its so majestic.

The two children, barely ten, run towards the commotion that they've waited for. Shes waited for, and hes waited to see her in the good mood. 

The Metkayinas lighting celebration. One of the biggest nights in the year.

Everyone dances, everyone is welcome, and everyone prays. They yell to pray for the clan, their Tulkun spirit brothers and sisters, their health and families.

The people dress up in their best beads, and hair pieces. They light the fires, but incorporate the ocean in the setting, laying shells all around.

"You have to wait!" Nia grabs the boys arm with the hand not bearing his and pause as they approach the scene. She stops him from running at the same speed into the group. "Look."

She watches the commotion, her eyes practically glow with joy. Her hair blows in the light wind. The boy looks not at where she is pointing, but instead, at her, admiring her. 

She smiles, then moves his face lightly towards the scene with her hand. "Look." She repeats, in awe of the scene even though she experiences it every year. 

"It is amazing." He says to her. 

~

"Neteyam, I-"

"Youre going to dance with me." He demands, pulling me a little closer to the group.

I groan and he drags me along the beach. From behind him, I look at the beads on the side of his hair. They are Omaticaya beads. They are gorgeous. Wooden beads with black detailing in them. They fit Neteyam very well.

He turns around and laughs, grabbing my other hand. I roll my eyes and move them with him.

He shoves one back and pulls the other forward. I move my hips with it for a minute getting used to it.

His smile is huge as he watches me. My hair falls into my face, and I look down to his chest, where one of his necklaces falls. 

Looking down, I can tell he still watches, but while looking down it is easier pretend he is not watching. 

The two of us are moving around, stupidly. I can only laugh as a weird feeling fills me. So this is what it is like to have fun. 

"Youre not a very good dancer." I joke, moving my head back so my hair falls back out of my face.

He opens his mouth as he gasps sarcastically. Neteyam twirls me around and pulls my back to his torso, my legs get twisted together awkwardly.

Obviously he is better than he lets on. 

I suck in a small breath, trying to make it unnoticeable. I've never touched this much skin to almost anyone. Neteyam laughs quietly from behind me. "You don't seem to be either."