Twenty-Five

"Are you coming Jungle Boy?" I call back to Neteyam. My hair blows, crazy in the wind. Today would have been the perfect day to have my hair up.

My mind has been scattered though, things come and go. It seems the events of today have scared me.

I would not mind if he told me no, and turned around. But that is not the case.

He climbs up the tree root, slowly on the one beside me. For being raised in trees Im surprised he is not better at this. 

These ones lead to the islands beside our homes. There is really no purpose for them, they dont have good game for fishing, and we dont build here. 

Other kids and I have only used it for recreational purposes, like the cove.

"Yes!" He yells back, appearing beside me. I guess my previous comments are proved wrong. 

My smile grows, as I pull up one last time, to finally get to the top. 

At the top of this big island, there are only trees. It is one of the best spots to overlook the reef. 

Aytio and I discovered it with Tsireya and our other friend when we were eight. 

Together, we climb up one of the tree. Every time he tries to make eye contact with me on the way up, I avoid it, looking elsewhere, or acting like I am struggling. 

I am struggling a little, but not enough to show it.

I reach the top first, finally sitting down. I look out to where the bright sky meets the water. 

My heart is beating, not because I am tired out, but because of Neteyam. 

"Ni'awtu." He grins as he pulls himself up to sit, casually. 

"Neteyam." I sigh, letting my smile fade smaller. 

His eyes are bright today. 

There is so much that I prepared to say and now, I have no idea what to say to him. 

He looks away from me, and out to the area in front of us. I watch him as he studies it. 

His eyes squint a little. Neteyams breaths are calm, coming in and out against the wind.

"Do you remember when you asked me what I saw at the spirit tree?" I ask. My voice is amused at the faint memory coming back. 

This is the only thing that popped into my mind when I wracked my brain of what to start with. 

He glances to me, a dumb grin on his face, and nods. 

I laugh quietly, looking to the top of the tree right in front of us. "Well," My mind feels like it is pounding, my heart beating in my chest. My stomach feels like it is loosing every ounce of confidence, like it is dropping from this height. "Part of it, you were in it." 

I pause for a moment. His gaze is hot on the side of my face, but I dont dare look at him. Every part of me is telling me to stop.

"And," I smile, pulling my hands together to mess with them. "It was us, in the future."

His breathing beside me has the smallest noticeable change. The presence of him is like weight falling onto my back. 

"And?" He asks. His voice is amused. I dont understand why it is amused.

"And, Neteyam, when we hugged the other night, I couldnt stop thinking about it." I close my eyes. 

"And Ive been avoiding you these past couple of days, trying to let myself gather everything I wanted." I open them again, the brightness of the sun piercing my eyes again. "Here I am, nothing gathered at all. But I know one thing. And Ive known it for a long time."