Fifteen

"Tsireya and I want to take you to our spirit tree tonight." Kiri and I walk beside each other, along the beach.

A couple days after Neteyam and I got in trouble, Tsireya and I decided we finally thought it was right for the Sullys to go.

Neteyam and I spent the days together, trying not to get in trouble again. On some days we would hang out in a group with the others.

Escaping to be alone was some of the best times though.

We would sit and laugh on the beach. or in the forest. We would talk serious, and we took naps.

It became one of the only safe spaces I ever had.

It was weird how more then a month ago I couldn't stand him and now I mostly wanted to hang out with him.

"That sounds amazing. Where is yours?" Her face lights up.

"Out in the water." Is all I say. There is no direct location for it.

Her smile grows and she shoves her shoulder on mine. "Specific." She says sarcastically.

I nod. "Yeah, everyone in our group is invited."

"I'm sure everyone will come." Her mind is made up. She cannot wait.

Something I love about Kiri is her love and connection to Eywa. I wish I could have that.

"Youre the first person I've invited yet." We corner the beach, and see Neteyam and Tuk running around playing.

Jake, my father, and Aonung sit on the side talking and laughing. It is a curious group.

The sun shines bright on Neteyam and Tuk, when the rest of them sit in the shade.

Neteyam pauses as Kiri and I walk past, bowing his head for a short moment. I return the gesture and can't help but smile.

"Nia..." Kiri says, I turn my head away from him and to her, continuing to walk.

"Yes?"

"My brother seems pretty distracted." She mentions quietly as we approach the group.

"Because he greeted me?" I ask, my voice full of confusion.

"Mhm." She hums, leaving my side to sit next to her father. I stare at her for a moment. What is she talking about?

"Kiri." Jake smiles and loops his arm around her shoulder.

I sit across from them, next to Aonung.

Aonung shoves me a little when I sit. Groaning, I shove him back.

Our father only watches and smiles.

"Nia, Aonung was telling me about Tsireya and your idea."

"Yes?" I ask.

"I think it is a good idea. It is time." I nod, and look at Kiri with a smile.

"I agree." Our spirit tree is one of the most beautiful parts of the reef to me. Our most sacred land. I havent gone very often because of Aytio, but when I do, I just sit out and admire it.

I linked to the tree a couple months before the Sullys came. It was the first time in a while.

It was nerve wracking because I did not want to see him. But I didnt see him, and it made me much less scared.

Even now, when we go to the link tonight, I will be scared, but very minor now. I have Neteyam, Tsireya, and Kiri. Plus the others. Even if my brother is a nuisance, I still like his support.