Twenty- Seven

The rain finally stopped midday the day after Tuk, Neteyam, and I hung out in the marui.

Having the rain around was a comfort. Life is changing but it always makes it okay.

Tsireya, Aonung, and I now help Neteyam, Lo'ak, Kiri, and Tuk with learning how to throw nets. They've been weaving and knotting them for forever, now it is time to use them.

The sky is still dark from the rain, despite it being day, and the air is hot.

We decided Aonung gets the boys, and Tsireya and I have the girls. She mostly works with Kiri, and I work with Tuk.

I am better at throwing, so it makes sense I teach the youngest.

When we split up into our little groups, Neteyam gave me an annoyed look. The last thing he wants is to be with my brother, and his own.

It only made me smile and flaunt at my pairing.

For him wanting to be a warrior, he sure doesn't mind not learning and instead watching Tuk and I.

He might as well say we are mated to the rest of them. Luckily, Tuk covers up most of it by showing him things without realizing the help.

Tuk throws one out, but let's herself loose as she does so. "Good job Tuk, just make sure your body is tight. Only in the top though." I point to her stomach, shoulders, and then her arms.

"Can you show me Nini." The name makes me smile. It is new, only the second time she's called me it.

It is nothing I am used to, and a little weird, but I still end up liking it.

I nod, grabbing her net with a small smile. Because of her height, we are in the most shallow water, and her net is smaller.

But I can manage both.

Walking into the deeper water, the boys pause as Aonung throws one and looks to me. My cheeks get hot from the sudden attention.

When I throw, normally it is just me, in my space, with my head.

"You watching?" I turn to look at her. Her eyes are wide and hopefully. Tuk eagerly nods, waiting for me.

I gather it, in the way I like, bringing it above my head. I breath in deeply, watching everything around me, blocking out the things I don't want to see.

I see the bright blue water, running in and out. The tree roots, and the rocks in the water. The sand, and the barrier.

Slowly, I tighten up, and then let it go, just like I breath out my deep breath.

It lands perfectly with the rewarding slap. A smile lands on my face with it, appreciating my work.

Tuk cheers and laughs from behind me. "Good job Nia!"

I bend my knees a little bit, and drop my head, giving her a formal ending.

"Thanks Tuk." My eyes collide with Neteyams for a moment but I turn too soon to really see them. "Now your turn."

~

"Aonung is also preparing for his." Tsireya gestures towards my brother.

His sits on one of the trees large roots that plummet to the ground. Kiri sits next to him. Then Neteyam on the sand with me, Tuk, Tsireya, and then Lo'ak. All of us in a circle.

"When do you know you are ready?" Lo'ak asks eagerly. I watch his face as he looks at Neteyam for a moment and then Aonung.

Lo'ak wants to complete his iknimaya first, I can tell.

"Youre parents or elders will tell you."

Tsireya grabs Lo'aks shoulder, and he turns back to her. "Someone in our clan would tell you, since yours are not sea people yet."

Technically, Jake is halfway through his iknimaya. He can hunt, and he rides his skimwing. All he needs is his spirit brother.

When we finished our lesson for the day, all of us sat down on the barrier terraces. Neteyam subtly brought up iknimayas, and Lo'ak has now taken over.

I know that Neteyam has completed one before, and that he can do this one. It may just be challenging.

"But I don't know if anyone would tell you."

I give him a frown, then an angry face.

"What?" Lo'ak asks. 

Kiri looks up to me, waiting for me to explain. Neither Aonung or Tsireya say a peep.

My eyes glance to Neteyam and stay as I explain. We talked about this yesterday, and I didnt tell him. I am regretting not telling him now.

"Our clan is skeptical about your family still. Yes, we have excepted you, treated you like us, but some still have their ideas about your family."

Neteyams face kept dropping as I kept explaining. His family can't change anything.

"My guess is our dad would be the one." Aonung says, lightening the mood.

I dont think my mother will ever accept the Sullys, so she definitely won't.

"What would they have to do to get permission?" Kiri asks, her eyes leaving mine.

My mind begins to calm as the rest of them begin talking again. And then as I look over to Neteyam my mind rushes again.

He looks flustered. He seems confused.

He need not worry. We can figure it out.

Neteyams eyes never meet mine. They stay on the sand next to his feet.

Eventually, I push his leg over. His eyes glance up to me, sharply.

My hand stays on his leg, and my eyebrows move together. "what?" My eyes say.

His head tilts and he looks through his lashes. "Really?"

A smile leaves me at his answer. He is sarcastic, but his mind still is upset.

I nod once and then stand up, pushing up against the sand.

"Hey where you going?" Neteyam asks.

I look back down at him, and notice the group starring at me. I shrug, not just to him though. It is directed towards the general group.

"Can I go with Nini?" Tuk asks.

"Not today Tuk, I was just going to go where ever my mind takes me. Next time though?" She nods, her smile not bothered. I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

Right now, it is just best if I am alone.

"Okay, bye Nia." Kiri says.

I smile and wave as I begin walking away backwards.

Neteyams eyes follow me, curious.

Thankfully, he does not follow me. My ilu and I end up back by the maruis. And then I decide to disappear behind them, into the forest.

It is the same path we took the first time we took the Sullys here. The ground mushes down with every step from the moisture.

The air smells of rain, all of the plants holding onto it. This smell is one of my favorites.

I make up my mind, the waterfall is where I am deciding to go. Though there are many, this one is one of my favorites.

Many memories lie there. Swimming to clear my mind. Festivals, laughs, friends, Aytio. The Sullys, and when Neteyam and I became a little more civil.

When I arrive, it seems that it is not only me with this idea.

The woman in the darker blue shade then me stands, bending to touch one of the plants. Her hands are careful against it, touching it delicately.

Her ears perk up, despite me not moving, and she turns.

Neytiris face is surprised to see me. Yet, a smile is growing on her face. "Hi Ni'awtu."