Twenty- Four

After hearing my father say he was disappointed, even now I am still upset about it. 

Even if it hurts, there are other things to worry about.

The only thing I want to do, is stay away from my parents. I cannot bear to face them right now.

"Hey Kiri." Kiri sits on the edge of the pathway outside of their marui. 

I sit down next to her, dangling my feet. They almost touch the water, but barely make it. 

"Hi Nia." Her smile lights up her face. I love to see her smile. 

She sits, tying knots into a trap. 

"Nia!" I turn my head. Neteyam yells from the side of their home. Looks like he is also doing work. 

I wave my arm up to him, and then look back down to my hand, resting in my lap. 

I realized last night, I dont want to see him until I want to tell him. It is a hard choice considering I see him multiple times a day, and we hang out almost every day.

"How are you Kiri?"

"Fine. Normal. Bored." I laugh as she lists off.

"I wish you could have came with Tsireya and I yesterday." 

"Me too. No one woke me up."

I nod. Her brothers can be nuisances like that, but I am surprised Neytiri let her sleep in.

"What happened when Lo'ak and Neteyam got home last night?" I ask, looking back at the two boys.

Neteyams face is blank as Lo'ak explains something, in a frustrated tone to him.

I have to admit, Lo'ak has gotten the hang of our home better then Neteyam has.

"They are in trouble. Chores for the day." 

Thats what I should be doing. I need to prove myself again.

"Skxawngs." I say, still smiling. 

I grab a bundle of rope, and tie it with her. 

"What happened?" She asks.

"No one told you?" Looking at her beaded hair, I notice her frown.

"Neteyam did when he got home, but I want your side." She stares down at the knots, doing them perfectly. 

"Lo'ak bonded with Payakan. There isnt very much we could have done." I breath out, letting the rope drop into my lap.

"Hm." 

"I dont know, it was a hard night."

"Were you with Neteyam after your dad yelled at you?"

I nod, shutting my eyes for a moment. 

Neteyams hug has been the only thing on my mind since we walked back home.

I just wish I could hug him now.

"Oh." She finally smiles. 

"Kiri," I stare at her until she looks at me.

She breaks out in a small laugh from my disappointment.

For some reason, I cant get mad at her. Tsireya mentioning Neteyam made me angry, but Kiri it is comfort.

I begin to laugh with her as well.

Finally, I take a deep breath starring at the beautiful water ahead of us. 

I dont think there is anything stronger than water. In more ways than one.