8. Personal attacks for lunch

Ram: "Uff. I'm tired. And hungry! What do you wanna eat? I wanna eat makke di roti with sarson da saag, paalak paneer, chhole kulche, and..."

"Calm down, Satan. Are you gonna finish all of Mumbai in one go?"

He gets offended, "Mere khaane ko nazar mat lagaao!"

"Okay, okay. Eat all you want. I don't care. I'm hungry too."

Ram: "So there's this five-star restaurant that serves mouth-watering food. I'll call Adi to reserve a table."

Uhhh...

"Actually, can we go somewhere else? Five-stars must be expensive. Better spend that money on the wedding."

Ram: "Why? Do you think you don't deserve it? I think we do. We've done a lot today."

Where did that come from?!

"You have worked a lot. I have done nothing but follow you."

Ram: "Come on! You've given some nice input. And following me isn't an easy task."

"Are you gonna put pom-poms on and cheer for me now?"

He quirks an eyebrow at me. I do not like this man.

"Where did that deserve and all come from?"

Ram: "You act tough but are soft inside. Probably because you've gone through things."

"The number of times we've met, that too, accidentally, can be counted on one hand, yet you've figured me out already?"

Ram starts explaining, "You're sarcastic, and you scold a lot, but you care a lot, too. You gave me a hard time for the auto because you were worried for your safety, but you helped me when you realised I was in a fix. You helped Shivi when she ran from home and again when she attempted suicide". He gulps, "There's a reason she came to you for help. You barged into a random house and gave us hell for hurting her without batting an eyelid. That requires guts."

"Didn't know that there was an unwarranted personal attack for lunch. Are you done dissecting my personality so that we can have lunch? I'm hungryyy!"

He shoots me a disapproving look but moves on. Phew!

I couldn't bring myself to say anything when he called Adi, so now we're at this expensive and chic restaurant. I would've enjoyed it if I wasn't embarrassed. F*** my life.

As soon as we sit, a waiter comes to take the order. But we haven't even touched the menu?!

Ram: "Hi, Tarun!"

Another Tarun?

Tarun: "Hi, sir! What will you have today?"

Ram: "Chicken tandoori, dal makhni, butter garlic cheese naan, paneer tikka, ..."

He orders half the menu or more. I don't know. I zoned out.

Ram: "...tiramisu, and moong dal ka halwa for dessert. What about you?"

How does he stomach all of that? Good lord!

"I'll have some from whatever you're having. You've already ordered a lot."

Ram: "What are you talking about? It isn't much!"

"Sure."

As soon as the waiter leaves, he starts popping pills one after the other. Is he okay?

Ram: "I know you're judging me for ordering the entire menu and then popping pills like candies."

"I'm not judging you. I'm concerned. How do you digest all of that? And those many medicines? Are you okay?"