20. Drunk evenings

We buy some fruits and vegetables since Bri is adamant about making Ram eat healthily. Sitting on the kitchen counter, she talks about her friends non-stop while I work. It's sweet. Before I can turn the stove on, someone rings the doorbell.

"Are they here already?"

Bri: "I'll go and check."

She returns with someone from Ram's staff. They place the bags they're carrying on the kitchen counter and start unloading them. It's all the stuff that Bri doesn't want around Ram.

Bri: "Ram sent Tarun early to prepare dinner. They'll be arriving later."

"Are all staff members named Tarun, or is it a code word?"

Bri: "Ram can't remember all their names, so he calls all of them Tarun. This dashing lad over here is the original Tarun. He stays with Ram most of the time."

"Oh. Hi, Tarun!"

 Tarun: "Hello, Sia ma'am."

"Call me Sia, please."

Bri: "Tarun, make carrot, beetroot, tomato juice, plain dal and roti, and vegetable soup for Ram."

"Will he eat that, though?"

Bri: "He has to. They're good for lowering blood pressure."

Tarun: "But ma'am, Ram sir told me to prepare butter chicken, kadhai paneer—"

Bri: "Don't worry. I'll handle him. You start cooking."

"I can prepare pulao and salad for the rest. I've chopped what I need anyway."

Bri: "It's okay. Tarun can cook for everyone. I don't need to bother you anymore."

"What're a few more minutes? Tarun can turn the stove off."

Bri: "Okay."

Bri: "To thank you for cooking for these idiots, I would like to offer you some alcohol."

She opens a bottle of I don't know what, and we down some of it, but we don't feel a thing.

Bri: "Should I make the drink stronger?"

I shrug, "Sure."

After a while, all of it hits us at once, making us break into a fit of giggles.

She extends her hand, "Will you dance with me, pretty lady?"

I blush, "Why not?"

Vik: "Adi, your wife seems to be having fun with someone else."

Ram: "Bri, you started the party without us?"

Bri leaves my hand to go to Ram, making me stumble, but Adi supports me.

Bri: "Jaan, the alcohol wasn't hitting us, so we drank a lot, and then it hit us all at once."

I break into laughter, "Bri, mujhe naa bahut hasi aa rahi hai and I'm unable to control it."

Bri scolds Adi, "Adi! What are you doing with my husband? Stay away from her."

She pulls me towards her a bit too hard, making us swap places.

Adi: "Bhai, we need to do something, or they'll drive us nuts."

Ram stumbles and I grab onto him lest he makes me fall. Ooh, his eyes look pretty! They're like shiny blue orbs with tints of green.

"Why are your eyes blue?"

Ram: "Ek second, what do you mean by why? Do you want them to be purple or something?"