9. Wedding shopping

We enter a high-end store. Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' was definitely lying. This man spent an unreal amount on the wedding, then ate an expensive meal, and is now buying me even more expensive clothes. Seven generations of my ancestors must be rolling in their graves.

Ram: "So, what do you plan on wearing to the wedding?"

"A... kurta?"

Ram: "That means you'll attend the sangeet and the sagaai in t-shirts, won't you?"

"And you say I am sarcastic."

Ram: "Haha. Very funny. Your speaking privileges have been revoked. You will try clothes without complaining from now on. Is that clear?"

"But—"

Ram: "Shush."

"Did you just shush me?"

Ram: "Hi! Can you show us some lehengas, please? Yes, for her."

Oh, so now he's ignoring me. This is not gonna go well for you, mister.

"No deep necklines, please."

They show some tacky pieces, but some beautiful ones, too, but I'm not sure they'll look good on me. Why do I have to wear a lehenga? Being comfortable in a kurta took long enough, and now this?

"Ram, do I have to wear a lehenga? I can wear something else, no?"

Ram: "Sure, wear pyjamas to the wedding. Way to tell people you're the groom's sister."

I do not like this role reversal.

Ram: "Go try this one. Black, mirrorwork, velvet top - it's not too loud, right? And you can never go wrong with black. It'll look good on you, trust me."

The top has two straps on its back, so it's not entirely backless. The lehenga is pretty but doesn't look too intimidating to try. Before I can overthink, Ram hands me the clothes and pushes me towards the trial room. Great, I've got another person forcing me to dress up, as if my friends weren't enough!

It doesn't look bad, but... Ugh, I hate these confidence issues! I come out of the trial room to find Ram cribbing to the assistant, "Don't trust her innocent face. She's got the personality of a strict teacher. We'll have to work hard to make her buy clothes."

I clear my throat.

Ram turns abruptly, probably shocked that I overheard him. Couldn't stop passing taunts a few minutes ago, and now he doesn't have anything to say? Glad that I caught him!

"So?"

Ram takes his phone out, "Twirl."

"I'm sorry, what?"

Ram: "I said, no speaking. Twirl."

He points the camera at me while I do as he says. What did you push me into, you three devils?!

He shows me the video, "Looks good, doesn't it?"

It does look good, and you don't have a choice, Sia.

"Okay."

Ram is incredulous, "Okay?!"

"Okay, but can I keep it on for a few more minutes to get used to it?"

Assistant: "Sure."

I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding.

Ram gets a call which he goes to attend. Idea!

"Where's the men's section?"

Assistant: "To the left, slightly ahead of the trial rooms."

I browse through the kurtas, but I can't even choose for myself, so how will I choose for him? There are some pretty pastel ones, but will he like them? I spot a black one with subtle prints, so it's not exactly plain, with an embroidered jacket that sparkles. It does give rich people vibes.