10. Unplanned sleepover

Ram didn't think it was possible, but somehow we finished our shopping today itself. The rear seat and the trunk of his car are jam-packed. That's another thing it's eleven, and we're hungry. We did eat some vada pavs, but it's been a long day, and they're not enough.

Ram leans on the door, "We've bought everything, right? And all our stuff is in the car?"

"Yes. I double-checked everything."

Ram: "Good. I'm dying from hunger. Can we have dinner now?"

A bike passes mere centimetres from me. What is wrong with people? Before I can return to normal, Ram grabs me and switches our positions. 

What were we talking about? Yeah, food.

"If it's fine with you, we can go to my home and eat. It'll be more comfortable, and you can meet everyone, too. The previous times you came home were chaotic. There's no pressure, though. I get it if you wanna go to your home and rest."

Ram: "I would love to!"

"Are you sure?"

Before he can answer, it rains.

Dammit. I wouldn't've forgotten my raincoat and umbrella if Akki and Gargi hadn't pushed me out.

"Urgh, I hate wet clothes." I struggle to cover myself with my bag and fail. "I hate baarish."

Ram: "I love baarish."

What? He stops looking at the sky in awe to look at me. Before I get the chance to react, he takes his jacket off and covers my head. What the f***?

His jacket is thick enough to keep me dry for a while. He looks like a child enjoying getting drenched in the rain. I follow his gaze to look up at the sky. Rain isn't so bad when you're not getting wet, but why did he do that?

"What are you doing?"

Ram: "Protecting you from the rain because you don't like it."

"I know how to protect myself... I mean, we should get inside the car and go home. We need to eat, too."

He shoots a weird look at me but complies.

Fortunately, the rain stops as we reach home. We gather my bags, and I tell him how to get to our flat. I ring the doorbell, and Gargi opens the door, blocking the entrance.

G: "Di, we've been waiting forever! Wait, what's in these bags? Are these for me?"

"They're mine. Stop blocking the way!"

Gargi looks into the bags in my hand, "You weren't even going out, and you've finished shopping? Outrageous!

Good lord, I'm tired.

"Gargi, MOVE! Let us in."

She moves to the side, and we keep the bags down. I take Ram's jacket from him. Wearing a suit for such a long time must be uncomfortable. Mum and Akki come out of my room and greet him.

Mum: "Sia, what's in those bags?"

G: "Di did all her shopping without us."

"Ram forced me. He also paid for my clothes."

They're incredulous.

Mum: "I don't believe it."

Akki: "How is that possible?"

G: "You've paid for these?"

Ram: "Yes. I did pay for her clothes, but she didn't let me buy her jewellery and shoes."