14. #AkShi sangeet II

We finally get to the fun part of the sangeet - bhangra! We dance for a while, with everyone flocking to the dance floor for at least a few minutes, but since no good time lasts forever, brace yourselves for some drama!

The music cuts off suddenly, and someone starts shouting, "Shivina, you b**ch! Did you think you could marry someone else so quickly after dumping me? I won't let you go so easily. Do these people know you were having an affair with him when we were engaged? Mr Groom, do you think she won't cheat on you with someone else?—" Shashi and Vedika try to stop him, but he continues screaming in a drunken stupor, "She's a rich spoilt brat, and she'll never be able to adjust with you. She'll just f*** someone else and dump you for them, you'll see!—"

What the f***?

Ram roars, "How dare you talk about my sister like that? I'll break every bone in your body if you utter another word from your vile mouth." He looks like he'll beat the shit out of Sid, but his friends hold him back.

Shashi: "I'm really sorry, Ram. I apologise on Sid's behalf. He has drunk a lot and doesn't know what he's saying." 

Adi: "Shashi, take him away before I call security and throw him out."

Shashi drags Sid away while Vedika approaches Ram, "I am extremely sorry, Ram. Sid's behaviour is unacceptable, and I feel ashamed. I'm sorry for even suggesting their marriage—"

Ram: "It isn't your fault, Vedu. Sid shouldn't have done what he did, and you didn't know this would happen."

Vedika: "I'm sorry he ruined Shivi's sangeet. Bye, Ram."

Ram goes to console a disturbed Shivi, who's latching on to Akki.

What just happened?

Anya: "Is he Shivi's ex? What a shithead!"

Bhavya: "This is terrible. People are going to gossip about this."

Gaurav: "But what can we do? We can't change people's minds."

Twinkle: "Poor kid. I feel bad for her."

Janhvi: "How do we ignore this and get everyone back to dancing? They won't magically forget this."

"Then maybe we should address it."

Janhvi: "What are you talking about?"

"They don't know the whole story, and now, Shivi is a cheater in their minds. The only way to counter that is to tell them the truth."

Gaurav: "So, are you gonna tell everyone?"

"I should, shouldn't I?"

Twinkle: "Ideally, you should, but who does this?"

"Go get a mic before I back out."

Anya: "Are you sure?"

"I'm mad, and it's the adrenaline talking."

Bhavya: "When you talk, look at us. Pretend like you're talking to us."

Janhvi: "Should we come with you?"

"No, I need to do this alone, or it might look more like damage control than telling the truth."

Gaurav: "Shiro?"

"What?"

Gaurav: "You got this."

Bracing myself, I let out a long exhale before I start. Okay. I mutter a shaky "Hello?" and a few heads turn towards me. Looking at my friends, I try my best to be audible and not stutter. "As you all know, it's Shivi and Akki's sangeet today. They love each other a lot, but the way to their wedding wasn't easy." Janhvi nods, nudging me to continue. "As we aren't rich, Shivi thought her family wouldn't agree to their wedding and broke up with Akki. Her wedding was fixed with the man you just saw. Unable to cope, she ran from home and got hurt in an accident. Her family came to know, broke her engagement off, and fixed her wedding with Akshay. She didn't do anything wrong. Akshay didn't do anything wrong. You are all sensible people. I'm sure you know better than to trust the words of a drunken ex who doesn't know how to respect people. Shivi, it doesn't matter what anyone says. I trust you, and I'm proud of you."

Shivi comes crying and hugs me tight while Twinkle takes the mic from me.

Shivi: "I love you, Sia di."

"I love you too."

Relieved that I got it all out, I finally look at the guests. I hope I convinced them a teeny-tiny bit. When my gaze meets Nandini aunty, she mouths thank you.

Janhvi: "I didn't think you had it in you, to be honest."

Bhavya: "Kabhi to kuch achchha bol liya kar!"

Gaurav: "She's just scared of emotions."

Janhvi glares at Gaurav, shutting him up.

Anya hands me a glass of water, "You need to hydrate."

"Thanks."

Ram is teary-eyed, and it seems like he wants to say something.

"Bri, isko chup kara, otherwise he's gonna spend the entire wedding crying. I can't handle it."

Bri: "True that. Jaan, listen to her."

Ram opens his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it. "If you're going to thank me or apologise, save it. The last time you wanted to thank me, I had to take this lehenga from you. God knows what you'll do now."

Bhavya: "You didn't tell us Ram gave you this lehenga!"

"I told you he paid for the wedding."

Janhvi: "Liar! This is different."

"I didn't tell you because I knew you'd overreact."

Gaurav: "You mean we would tease you."

"Whatever. The bride and the groom should be the centre of attention. Spare me." I turn to Akki and Shivi, "Is the sangeet over or what?"

Shivi: "No way! It's my wedding. It has to be the best. Turn the music on!"