Chapter Six

JESSA

Masses of bodies are still moving and dancing around us, however, everything seems to freeze for a moment as I look at the Enchanti- Allvais' face. His arm is stretching out with open palms, waiting for me to hold onto it and dance.

The music suddenly changes. It starts like a whisper, the notes softly cutting through the clamour of the crowd. The music gradually gains forte, and it resounds loudly enough across the large ballroom.

Ayaw ko naman mangalay si Allvais position niya. Kahit na naninigas ang mga tuhod ko, at kahit na hindi pa rin nababawasan ang lakas ng tibok ng puso ko, dahan dahan kong inilagay ang kamay ko sa kanya. "It would be a pleasure."

He smiles gently and lightly squeezes my hand. I stare at our hands. Palm to palm. Skin to skin. His hand feels warm and soft against mine. The cord, at long last, stopped stretching and just hanging there, its end ties to Allvais and it feels so freaking right, like I finally placed the last piece of a puzzle to its proper space.

He gently leads me to a spot where the light of the chandeliers washes over him, wrapping him in a delicate golden glow. A spot where the shadow of the Dragon Statue is not enclosing us. A spot where people coincidentally leave a huge rounded space.

Allvais faces me and settles his other hand on my waist. I let out a soft gasp, which is supposed to be embarrassing but he does not seem to notice it for his eyes are still immersing in me. He's looking at me as if there's something so worthy in me.

The music drops another beat and Allvais sways the both of us on the side and I follow. Then another step, then another. My whole entire system is really well-known to the motions. It knows how to glide on the floor and the pressure I must exude on my hands pressing on Allvais.

We swayed, very gently, with his eyes still immersing in mine. I can't do anything but stare back at him too. My heart is beating loudly against the walls of my chest and there's a fluttering sensation materialising inside my guts. As the music echoes, as the bodies of people are moving around us, everything feels so calm and still. Like a storm has finally died down, as though everything stops and the only thing that matters to me are his hands grasping into mine and his whole entire body only inches apart from me.

Allavis's huge, warm and calloused hands fit so damn well with my pale and soft hands. The curve of my waist is perfect for him to hold. His whole stature doesn't feel overwhelming and demanding.

Then, another memory flashes in my mind.

"Halika, dito!" Isang boses ang tumawag sa akin. I was standing in the middle of a forest. A very green forest, with the trees dancing along with the gentle breeze.

"Blaidrah? Malapit na tayo," sabi muli ng boses. Nilingon ko iyon.. Si Allvais. Ngiting ngiti ito sa akin at nakahawak na pala sa kamay ko.

"Hindi ako pwede magpatagal," rinig kong sabi ko. Pero tumawa lang si Allvais at hinila ako patungo sa kung saan.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Dinig ko ang malakas na tibok ng puso ko. Pero hindi iyon galing sa kaba. Hindi iyon galing takot. Tumitibok ang puso ko dahil sa saya. There's something about the secluded place that makes me feel like I am on top of the world. Pakiramdam ko lahat ay kaya kong magawa sa lugar na iyon.

Tuloy tuloy lang kami sa pagtakbo papunta kung saan, at nang tumigil kami ay tsaka ko lang napagtanto ang plano ni Allvais.

There's a lake before us, bathed in orange and yellow glare from the sun that's starting to set down in between the mountains. I gasped in amazement. Because of the chill wind blowing around us, the melodic chirps of the birds, the soft rustle of the leaves -