Chapter Eleven

JESSA

My body hit the wooden floor as I heard the aggressive clattering of the door behind us.

Ang mga kasama ko rin nakabulagta sa sahig habang hinahabol ang mga hininga.

The woman with bushy red hair watched the door first, taking slow steps backwards, with her body tensing that seemed to be ready for whatever explosive that'd happen outside the door.

Then, after long seconds, she relaxed and announced. "They're gone. They're changing routes to find the Princess."

Si Stefan, na nasa tabi ko, ay dahan dahang bumangon. "Paano mo nalaman?" Tanong niya.

"I can hear them. I can feel them," sagot lang ng babae, na hindi pa rin umiikot para harapin kami.

Sobrang sama ata ng pagkakabagsak ko kanina, para 'bang hindi bigla makagalaw ang likod ko. Pinikit ko muna ang sakit na nararamdaman ko sa bandang balikat ko. I wasn;t given a chance to angle myself for the impact, now I think my shoulders are suffering from the impact of my weight.

"Gago, eh ang layo layo na nung mga kawal na 'yon, paano mo nasasabi na naririnig mo sila? You're spitting bullshit." Biglang tugon ng lalaking naka-tirintas.

"Kuya naman," the woman finally raises herself from the floor too, then smacks her brother in the shoulder. "Pati ba naman dito, hindi mo makontrol 'yang bunganga mo. Magpasalamat ka nalang kasi."

"If you think you can't trust me and my senses, then go and mind your business." Finally, the woman with red bushy hair turns to us. From here on the floor, I can't help but to examine her appearance. Her thin and a little bit wrinkled face scowled down at us. From down here on the floor, I can see her sunken cheeks. Her dried and pale lips were forming a frown.

"For some reason, despite the chaos I am feeling all around, ang pinaka napansin ko ay kayong lima. I don't know what's going on but I think this is the time where you try to say thank you and be nice to me." Tugon pa niya habang nakapamewang.

"Who are you?" A question slips out of my mouth.

The woman shifts her intense eyes on me, she opens her mouth, only to close it tightly again to take a very deep breath. "Sino ako? Hindi ko na rin alam." She sighs again. "Tumayo nalang kayo dyan."

"Thank you for letting us in," I say as I stand up. I tried not to wince at the pain on my back. "But are you really sure they won't find us here? Baka madamay ka ba sa gulo na ako rin nagdala."

"Ofcourse I am not sure na hindi na nila kayo mahahanap dito," she answers with a tone covered in slight sarcasm. A sarcasm that definitely feels familiar. "This is not a hidden street. Thank goodness, mukhang tangahen naman ang mga kawal na iyon to not even check here. But soon, they'll find you here. Hindi rin kayo pwede magtagal."

"They're actually kind of smart and strong," biglang sabi ng babaeng naka-tirintas. "It's just.. I injured them enough to retreat."

Walang makapagsalita sa sinabi niya. Goodness gracious, how could this lady fight a bunch of armed knights? We have no idea.

"Ah," is what the woman with bushy red hair only managed to say. "I see. Who knew ba kasi na that could happen? But you guys should not waste time. Rest here muna then leave. They'll find you here. I just feel it."

And with that, she turned around and entered a room.

Naiwan kaming lima dito sa sala ng bahay. I look around. Planks of wood support the ceiling above us, with plants sprouting from the wood's gaps. The walls and the floor are made of solid wood. Several tables are piled with dried leaves, garlic, dishes, and cloth patches.