Chapter Nine

JESSA

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

That night, I randomly woke up.

Agad na bumilis ang tibok ng puso ko sa hindi pamilyar na kapaligiran. Wala ang malambot kong higaan, wala ang mabango kong kumot, wala rin ang paborito kong unan sa bisig ko. There is only an uncomfortable and cold rocky ground, a worn out gown, and an aching arm.

But there's also a warm grip on my wrist.

I gently open my eyes to find Stefan calmly sleeping next to me. His hand is tenderly gripping my wrist, his thumb right where my pulse is.

Hindi ako gumalaw at pinakiramdaman lang ang init ng kanyang kamay. Why is he holding me like this, in a way as if he's trying to make sure of my beating pulse?

Instead of moving, I just closed my eyes again and tried to bask in the warmth of his presence. Hindi ko maiwasan ang isipin nung binanggit niya si Claire, ang nililigawan niya sa kabilang section.

I have many reasons why I want to go back to our world. Because my family is there, it is the universe that molded who I am today. I still have more books to read, I have more trips to enjoy, I have more school work to endure. Si Stefan kaya? Ano kaya ang iniisip niya para makabalik siya? Isa ba si Claire sa mga taong pinanghahawakan niya ngayon?

Nakita na kaya ni Claire si Stefan sa ganitong sitwasyon? Had she seen him this tired, this confused, this vulnerable? Had Stefan tried to hold her wrist, cling unto her pulse to reassure himself that he's not alone?

The unsettling heaviness once again spreads across my chest. Paano kapag nakabalik na talaga kami? Muli ba kaming babalik sa casual lang na magkaklase?

I let out a long tired sigh, before coming back to sleep.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

I was suddenly standing in front of the old man's bookshop, holding a book in my hand.

There was the familiar crowded karinderia and the noisy vulcanizing shop. The shop is still placed in between busy places, as if it's waiting, as if it's watching and looking for someone to notice it.

Inangat ko ang librong hawak ko. 'The Blood of the Dragon', ang sabi ng title sa gitna. Tumaas ang mga balahibo ko. Oh my God.

Hindi ko na namalayan na naglakad na pala ako papasok ng bookshoop, doon ay nakita ko muli ang pamilyar na matanda na nakatayo at halos magtago sa anino ng mga libro.

"Ikaw," sabi ko. "Anong ginawa mo sa amin? Ikaw ba ang nagdala sa amin sa ibang mundo?"

"The book chose you and your friends," ang sagot niya.

"They're not my—" I paused before going into the irrelevant matter. "How do we get out of it?"

"Know your story, Jessa." He stepped out of the shadows, the afternoon glare washed over him, which made the shadows under his big eyes to darken. "You entered in The Blood of the Dragon's realm. Understand your role in the plot. Be aware of the events that are about to take place in front of you. Know how your storyline will finish."

"What?" I asked, almost out of breath. "Paano naman iyon nakakatulong?"

"Jessa, keep pushing your story forward. Bring your story to an end.," he said. "You'll be able to return to this realm after your adventure finishes with all of you alive."

"The ending.." bulong ko sa sarili habang pilit na inalala ang sinabi ni Castillo tungkol doon.

That's when my heart raced so fast, I thought it would spring out of my chest. Nanlalaki ang mga mata ko at napatingin mula sa matanda. No way... No freaking way..