Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 24: Someone is Watching

ARIA

I resent how weak and helpless I sound in front of Nicco. It's strange. I can keep my head on straight no matter how stressful shit gets at work. I can even stay calm when my character and reputation are under attack, but the gentleness in him awakens something volatile in me. Under the weight of Nicco's gaze, I feel far too seen, and a surge of memories that I'd rather forget rises up like acidic bile in the throat. They rip through my mind within a matter of seconds. It takes all of my willpower to keep my face devoid of emotion as my demons try to claw their way out again.

***

"Well done, Ari. You're a smart girl. Very smart."

My mouth clenches shut. I refuse to talk. I can see that Jaime is holding my college acceptance letters in his hands. I have no idea how the fucker got a copy of them. He has always been far too resourceful and well-connected for his own good.
He snickers. "Are you giving me the silent treatment? That's cute."

I glare daggers at Jaime, still refusing to engage with him. Maya's death doesn't seem to faze him at all. Violent, vengeful thoughts crawl through my mind. I never thought I was capable of hating someone as much as I hate him. But, short of killing him, I don't know how I could possibly avenge my best friend.

The wheels in my mind, however, begin to turn.

Smirking, Jaime continues to taunt me, "I understand that you got into Yale and Princeton? I can tell that you'll go far in life. This is why I keep you around, you know? This is why I'll never let you go. In the years to come, I'll need talent like you to help my family. The higher you climb in society, the more valuable you'll become to us..."

Fuck him.

Fuck Princeton.

Fuck Yale.

I'll never let him use me like a pawn again.

***

Troubled green eyes watch me with concern. An apology spills from Nicco, drawing me from my moment of madness, "I am sorry. I did not mean to upset you."

This just makes me feel worse. It's not his fault that I'm such a fucking mess. I wish I could become someone else for him. I close my arms around Nicco's neck and draw his face close. Kissing him, I murmur against his mouth, "We've had such an amazing night, Nicco. There's no need to ruin it. Why can't we just enjoy our time together?"

Nicco agrees to my request without protest, "We can do whatever you want, baby."

"Thank you."

His thumb brushes across my lower lip. "Are you alright, though?"

I grasp Nicco's hand in mine and press my lips on his skin, placing a kiss in the center of his palm. "I will be. If we can drop everything. No more questions, okay?"

"Okay..."

Even though I'm talking to Nicco, I feel like I'm trying to convince myself when I say, "Hawkins doesn't matter anymore. Fuck my past. None of it matters. All I care about is you and me. Together. Now."

***

Maya's ghost continues to haunt me each night. Jaime needs to pay for what he did to her. He's a criminal, a murderer, a fucking psychopath, and, lately, the fucker's been grooming me to become his accomplice.

Little does he know, I've been using it to my advantage. Jaime believes that I'm the same seventeen-year-old girl who's scared shitless of him. He's not wrong. I'm still terrified, but there's work to do now. A plan to unfold. I need to worm my way deeper into his illegal operations.