Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Ch. 32: The Heart Wants What It Wants

NICCO

I'm still standing outside of Aria's flat. My hand hovers over the doorknob while my mind remains stuck on my conversations with Monte from earlier today.

***

It is right around lunchtime when my phone rings. After seeing the caller ID, I make sure to lock the door to my office before taking the call. "Pronto."

With the phone pressed to my ear, Monte's voice travels through the line. Wasting no time, he relays to me, "Carl's men have found a lead. They looked into the software that was used to infiltrate the security system at Balmore House. After analyzing the files' metadata, some notes were found in the coding. "

I frown. "What kind of notes?"

"It was mostly technical jargon left by the programmers, but..."

"But?"

Monte continues, "The notes were written in Spanish. Several slang words were recorded. Slang—that is popular among Colombians."

Fuck.

This probably suggests exactly what I think it suggests.

"Carl's team also managed to trace an IP address. They believe the hackers were operating from an AirBnb in Croydon around the time of the attack."

"Who is the owner of the property?"

"Reginald Manning."

"Is he related to Ted Manning?"

"Reginald is Ted's father."

***

This troubling conversation keeps replaying in my head. I do my best to push it away as I open the door.

The moment I walk inside, I am greeted with a most wondrous and jaw-dropping sight, and each and every thought that has been contributing to my distress immediately dissipates. Taking several more steps forward, I make my way into the flat. My mouth parts. There is so much to take in. I do not know what to focus on. My awestruck gaze wanders every which way around Aria's living room.

An unopened bottle of vino and two crystal-clear wine glasses sit on the coffee table, waiting for me. Tea lights have been lit. They have been arranged in the shape of a heart around the vino bottle and wine glasses. Aria's surprise for me outshines the dark cloud that Manning and the Beltráns have cast over me. But they do not disappear. Not completely.

The fuckers linger in the shadows of my mind even amid the glow of such a happy moment.

***

It appears the Mannings have opened their family properties to the Beltráns like the good little lap dogs they have become.

At this, my mood darkens considerably. I was right to suspect these bastards. At this point, their involvement seems undeniable, and I must pay them back tenfold for what they have done to Aria and me.

I struggle to contain my emotions. "Manning and the Beltráns are not even trying to hide this shit from us. They are growing bolder by the second."

"It is unacceptable," Monte growls. "These fuckers are rubbing their shit all over our faces."

Unacceptable, indeed.

We need to fuck them up before they can fuck with us again.

But... how?

Far more planning is required before I can go after the Beltráns. Alvin and his son are not the entitled delinquents I used to deal with back in boarding school. A black eye and broken nose will not send them running for the hills. This will not be an easy battle. I will have to fight dirty and use every weapon at my disposal. They are the goddamn cartel, after all.