5. A+ Thrills

"Look what I got!" Mom said excitedly. She shoved four blue tickets into my face with a huge grin.

I was sitting in front of the tv working on my homework. Well, not really. I was pretending to work on my homework to avoid having to help Dad cook dinner. I hated cooking with him. He gets super picky about how nicely I cut the vegetables, and how much spice I put into the food. One time he claimed I put way too much spice into the curry and grounded me for a day.

I inspected the blue tickets in my mom's hands. They were laminated with a plastic covering. There were whimsical animals and shapes on them. On it read, "1 adult admission to the park". I thought they were all sold out. I asked how she got them. In response, she informed that she got free tickets from her workplace, since it sponsored the park.

The next day at exactly 7:30, we headed out. It seemed like everyone was planning to go early to snag parking, because we were stuck in traffic. As each minute went by, I could see Mom slowly descending into her road rage. She kept huffing to herself which is a sign that she's about to snap. Dad, Hiro, and I just sat there quietly in the car, not wanting to say or do something that would piss her off.

After what seems like it took a million years, we finally got to the park at 9. There were a lot of people as expected, but not too much to where the point there was zero parking. We ended up parking kind of far from the gate. Mom was a bit salty about that. She was complaining about it as we walked to the front.

"I can't believe we got here so late! Now the lines are going to be packed!" she complained. "That stupid blue sedan in front of us didn't move at all!"

Hiro let out a nervous chuckle. "W-Well, at least we made it, right? How about we go on some rides?"

And so, our day at the amusement park officially began.

The first ride we hit was the Tilt-A-Whirl. Usually this ride isn't super wild, but this one was spinning way too much. I think we got the broken car, because our car was the only one like this. With the combined forces of my family's weights and gravity, I was getting smashed with each twirl.

"Why are we spinning so fast?!" Dad exclaimed. His face was beginning to turn pale as our car went in circles. Meanwhile, Hiro and Mom were trying their best not to squash me. "Somebody... stop the...ride!"

Immediately after getting off, he sprinted to the nearest trashcan and vomited sparkles.

The next ride we went on was the Monster, which was a roller coaster. Since there were two people per cart, I paired up with Hiro and my parents were together. Hiro and I sat in the back while my parents got seated in the middle. Before we blasted off, the workers checked our seatbelts and safety bars. It wasn't good enough, because my seatbelt broke as we were climbing up the tracks.

"Wh-What do you mean it broke?" Hiro asked, his face paling.

I gave him a shrug. "Yeah. The buckle isn't working."

He reached over. He tried clasping it together and failed. He tried again but nothing changed. The cool breeze tickled my nose with the shining sun warming my face. The world below started to get smaller as we got closer to the big drop. Hiro was nonstop chattering now which was something that he did when he panics.

I peered at his lap then to his face. "Um, Hiro?"

"Rin, we have to stop the ride! Wait, how are we going to stop? We can't stop the ride. But--"

"Hiro?"

"--what are we going to do? You might have to hold onto safety bar as hard as you can. You still might fly off--"

Zero Hero  || MHA ||On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara