7. The Sing Off

My eyes fluttered open to the sight of very bright light. Rubbing my eyes, my hands felt like they were sitting in a freezer all day. At the same time, my head was on fire. I squinted my eyes, groggily standing up from the ground.

I saw that I was standing in the middle of a stage. Ahead of me was a fantastical blue table that was full of ribbons. It looked like one of those places where the judge stays during those talent shows. Behind that were rows of the red theater seats. They were completely empty. There was an expensive-looking camera in front of the stage. It had all sorts of weird gadgets on it; it was way more elaborate than the one that hotdog dude used. A blinking red light was on which meant that the camera was recording.

I looked around me, and my dad was lying on the ground. Both his arms were sprawled out. He wasn't unconscious, but he was definitely out of it. He had a dazed look in his eyes. I noticed that there was a metal bracelet on his left wrist. There was also a circle tag that had the number 2 on it. Next to Dad, was an all too familiar strawberry hero. He looked completely knocked out. His torso was twisted to the left with his right arm on his face, and his left clutching his abdomen. His legs were crossed over one another. I saw a small stream of drool on the corner of his lips. He also wore a metal bracelet and a number tag.

Seeing that, I peered down at my hands to see that I was wearing a matching bracelet. I also had on a tag, but it had the number three. I tried to play around with my bracelet to see if anything were to happen, and I felt a small zap erupt up my arm.

"Great... Now I have my own personal shock collar-bracelet thingie."

I sighed but immediately regretted it. I started to have a small coughing fit. The sounds of it bounced off the walls echoing within the empty theater. I was able to regain my composure again and this time, I breathed out slowly. I could feel the hot breath gently touch my lips as it got trapped in the facemask that I was wearing. It sucks being sick.

I heard the slight shuffling of my dad getting up. I glanced over to him as he slowly stood up from the ground. He tiredly rubbed the back of his neck as he stretched his back. It let out a loud crack.

"Ah, what the hell... Where are we?" he mumbled. "All I remember was heading to your doctor's appointment when some sleeping gas came in."

I gave him a shrug. Since I got sick, my dad scheduled an appointment with the doctor. When Hiro found out, he freaked out. I told him it wasn't anything bad, but he still went on a worried rant. He was always like that; he always treated me like I was some defenseless baby bird.

His mannerisms toward me were completely different from Dad's. Dad never complained about Mom or Hiro but when it gets to me, he's always ready to jump in and say something. I wouldn't say that he was super mean to me, but he wasn't nice either. He's just very strict and critical. I don't want to sound like I'm declaring my hatred for him, but he and I weren't really on good terms. Dad never use to be like this; maybe he's going through a midlife crisis or something.

I heard the sound of mechanical gears underneath. The stage began to shake, and it sounded like something was coming from below the stage. I tried stepping off, but I smacked my face against an invisible force field. Doing that also caused my bracelet to go off, and I got zapped again.

"What's going on?" Dad demanded, slowly backing off the stage.

The area where Dad and I were lying on (and also where Strawberry Shades was), slowly opened up in a circular radius. I watched as Strawberry Shades's limp body drop into the dark abyss while the sound of gears grew louder. I watched as a smoky platform emerged from below. The shape of stairs appeared from the edge of the platform, and the outline of a slender woman appeared in the mist. Then, it stopped.