12. Boy from the Train

Why is it so freaking hot?

        Reaching up to my forehead, I wiped the sweat off. I immediately regretted doing so upon feeling the sticky wetness. It also didn't do much, since my arm was equally as sweaty; the sweat on my arm was practically sticking to my face. It just made me feel grosser.

        Mom had a parcel waiting at the next town over, but she didn't want to go since it was scorching out. So what did she do? She sent me out instead to go sizzle in the sun. Although I slathered on at least half the container of sunscreen and wore a cap, I could feel my skin burning.

        "It's only May... It shouldn't be this hot..." I mumbled bitterly. I stopped at the crosswalk, waiting for the light to turn green.

        It also didn't help that it was Saturday afternoon. There was a ton of people out, more than usual. All the body heat radiating off of everyone made me hotter and more sweaty.

        The light turned and everyone began to walk across the street. As I did, I noticed a lone girl. She looked like a kindergartner, around four or five. She wore a bright yellow sunhat with a polka-dotted strapped dress. Around her shoulders was a small bag that had the face of a white bunny. Upon taking a closer look, I saw that it was the neighbor's kid. The events of the weekend I took her to the beach replayed in my head. Remembering it all, I shuddered

        "Uh, what are you doing?" I asked her.

        Himawari peered up at me. Her eyes lit up. "Rin!" she exclaimed happily. "I missed you! I told Mommy and Daddy that I want you to take me to the beach again, but they said I could never see you again."

        Her parents were not happy with me once they found out about the mess we got in. They hated my guts now. They don't talk to me or my family anymore either. I'm willing to take the blame for losing track of her, but it wasn't my fault that a tentacle man decided to pop out of nowhere.

        For some reason, I didn't notice the tall figure that was standing right next to her until now. I gazed over to see that there was a boy. He wore a casual, light blue button-up shirt with dark jean shorts. He stared at me through his red and white bangs with his brown and turquoise eyes. There was a scar around the turquoise one. Flickering my eyes back to his hair, it reminded me of peppermint.

        Wait... Brown and turquoise eyes? A scar? Red and white hair? It's that guy from the train! The guy from the train that all the girls stalk, the guy who saw me have a bag of stolen money, the guy who saved me, the guy who...I groped.

        I quickly grabbed her small hands and led her across the street. Partly because the light was going to turn back and partly because I wanted to get away from that guy. Once we crossed, I asked her again why she was out here.

        "I'm buying Mommy a birthday cake! A chocolate cake!" she said to me. "Daddy's at work while Mommy's taking a nap. Daddy is too busy to get Mommy a cake, so that's why I'm gonna get it!"

        Himawari turned to Peppermint Hair, who had followed us and was standing there stiffly. "Todoroki is gonna help me buy a cake."

        Why is he staring at me so much? I bet he remembers me. He totally remembers me. I'm the perverted thief from the train.

        "...Do you know where the cake shop is?" he said to me.

        Oh, never mind. He was looking at me because he needed directions. Maybe he forgot who I was.

        I told him I knew where it was and offered to take them there. It was on the way to the station anyway. Hearing that, Himawari let out a happy cheer. "Yay! Rin is gonna come too!"