15. Let Me Hear

╔═══════════════╗

New Message to:

Hiro 🦸

╚═══════════════╝

₅:₅₈ ₚₘ 【 ɪ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ʜᴇʟᴘ 】

"Rin! What are you doing?" Dad hissed, bursting into my room. Fumbling with my phone, Dad told me to quit hiding in my bedroom and get downstairs to greet the guests.

I let out a deep sigh. I hated when guests came over. It's gotten worse since Hiro went away to work. Usually he's the one who helps fill the silence but now it's fallen to me. I never know what to talk about, especially if I'm talking to an adult. What do adults like anyway?

Getting up from my bed, I made sure to take a quick look at myself in the mirror before heading down. I knew not to wear my regular home clothes and opted for something more presentable: I wore a simple white sweatshirt with light-blue jeans. I also made sure to comb my hair but my head was now the epitome of a coconut.

Walking out of my safe haven and down the stairs, I heard lighthearted chatters. I heard my mom's voice along with two other unfamiliar ones. I saw a youthful-looking woman speaking animatedly with Mom. She was pretty; she had pale-blonde, spiky hair that touched her shoulders. She wore a light-blue V-neck sweater with a white shirt underneath. Besides her was a meek-looking man with ruffled brown hair. He had rectangle glasses and a small mustache. They were sitting on the sofa.

"And then, we ended up getting married and the rest is history," Bakugo's mom said.

The man, who was her husband, pushed his glasses up bashfully. "M-Mitsuki... Must you really tell the story of how we met every time?"

His wife boldly proclaimed her affection toward him which only made him even more embarrassed. It reminded me of how Mom doted over Dad. After giggling a bit, she noticed me standing awkwardly under the doorway. Since I was spotted, I really had no choice but to shuffle in and make a conversation.

"There you are, Rin!" Mom chirped. Turning to the guests, she introduced me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Bakugo's mom said standing up. We gave each other a slight bow. "I'm Bakugo Mitsuki."

"And I'm Bakugo Masaru," her husband said, doing the same.

I stiffly took a seat on the empty chair across. Ms. Bakugo gave me a friendly smile. "Onishi, I've been meaning to apologize to you about that time," she said. "My son had an accident during science class, and you got blamed for it."

I quickly shook my head. "Um, no, it's alright. It happens sometimes..."

She folded her arms and sighed. "You seem like such a good girl. You didn't deserve to get roped into Katsuki's mistake. Really, that boy can a handful!"

Speaking of Bakugo, I heard the bathroom door close. Emerging from the hallway was a certain explosive boy. Bakugo's red eyes flickered to me. He peered down at me like I was an annoying fly, and I returned the look with a numb expression.

He looked annoyed. Actually, he always looked annoyed; that's how his face is like. If our family weren't here, he would've called me "coconut head" already. I really hope Mom didn't show him my baby photos, because I wouldn't hear the end of it at school. Why did Mom have to invite his family to dinner?