10. The Breakfast Club

"Today in class, we're going to be conducting a lab. I've paired you all up into groups of two," Fujioka-sensei announced. Tapping lightly on the whiteboard, he said, "The groups are listed here. Pair up and find an empty counter in the room."

        Immediately, all my classmates flooded to the front eagerly searching for their names. Meanwhile, I decided to wait until my classmates left. There's no point in going up now when it's packed. Once most of the people cleared out, I went up to the whiteboard. Scanning the list for my name, I found it right next to Midoriya's.

        That's cool. Midoriya and I are partners. Or, would've been if he was here at school.

        I went to tell Fujioka-sensei that my partner was absent. As I approached him, I saw that Bakugo was standing next to him. He glanced at me giving me a cold look that screamed "scram, you damn coconut".

        Seeing that, I quickly looked away and informed Sensei that my partner was absent.

        "Oh! It's perfect then," he remarked, turning to me. "Bakugo's partner is also absent today. You two can pair up instead."

        Upon hearing that, Bakugo glanced at Fujioka-sensei disapprovingly. I would have expected him to say something about his disagreement with that idea, but he didn't. Instead, he muttered a gruff "okay" and sauntered towards the nearest empty counter. I trailed behind him, making sure to keep enough distance between us.

        Darn it! Why did both Midoriya and Bakugo's partner have to be gone today? I think God just wants to torment me...

        "Alright! Let me begin the instructions for the lab," Sensei began. "You're going to need three beakers: a large one and two small ones. They are set out on the counter for you. Before starting any experiment, make sure to put on your safety goggles."

        Everyone in the room had their goggles on already. I reached for mine and slipped it on. It felt like it was about to squeeze my brain out. Peering over at Bakugo, I watched him put them on too. Despite his looks and robust personality, he always took the time to practice lab safety. Like mine, his goggles were too tight so he looked funny. I couldn't help but see his resemblance to Naruto, but an angry porcupine Naruto.

        Bakugo's scarlet eyes flickered to me and asked what I was looking at. I pretended not to hear him and quickly turned the other way.

        "Okay, so the first thing we are going to do is fill the large beaker with water," Sensei continued. "Fill it up about, let's say, halfway. There's no need for exact measurements. Next..."

        He explained the entire experiment to us. Then, he passed out a packet we had to fill out. After that, we started the lab. I noticed that Bakugo started the experiment already. I glanced at him and saw that he was filling the beaker up with water.

        "Isn't that a bit too much?" I remarked.

        He ignored me and placed the beaker on the stand. Since I was closest to the outlet, I plugged in the rubber cord for the bunsen burner. The smell of gas went in my nose. Then I reached over to grab the lighter when a blast erupts from Bakugo's hand, making the group across flinch. A fire ignited on the bunsen burner, and it started boiling the water. Luckily the teacher walked out of the classroom to deliver some papers, or else he would've freaked out if he saw.

        "Uh, you were not supposed to do that," I said. "You're supposed to use the lighter."

        Bakugo glanced at me, wearing a scowl. "Don't tell me what to do, Coconut Head."

        Okay, jeez. I was just trying to help...

        The two of us waited for the water to boil. Once it did, droplets started spilling all over the counter. The water, which was filled to the 600 ml line, was bubbling over. Droplets of water splashed in the open flame and onto the black countertop. Some even got on my lab sheet. It must've been because Bakugo put too much water in the beaker.