20. Shattered Power

I aimlessly stared at the scene around me, the scent of smoke lingering in the air. Looking around, the street gave off a chilling feeling seeing how desolate it was. Just twenty minutes ago the entire place was bustling with people. The stalls that were full of food, toys, merchandise, and games were abandoned. Some stalls weren't even intact since they've been ripped apart by villains and burnt down. I saw a broken All Might toy lying at the side of the road. His muscular arm was broken off from his body. His manly face gave me a beaming smile.

        "It's fine now. Why? Because I am here!"

        "Walk faster!" the Crimson grunt behind me ordered. Pushing me, I stumbled to the ground. Her hands grabbed onto the back of my yukata, yanking me to my feet. Hissing into my ear, she reprimanded me for tripping. I didn't say anything back and stared at my dirty toes.

        "Damn kid... You cause me all this trouble right when my inspection was about to end..." she muttered bitterly. "And how the hell did you do that?"

        What is she talking about?

        "Hello? I'm talking to you!"

        Gazing up, I told her that I didn't get what she meant.

        "What do you mean? I'm talking about when my fists went the other way. I know you did something!"

        I...did? I gazed down at my hands. That tingling sensation I felt earlier replayed in my mind. That wasn't the first time my fingers felt like that. It felt like this when I crashed the taxi, when the blond kid used his electric Quirk at the beach, and the time the light was about to fall onto Dad when we got captured by Sonnet. It also felt like this when Bakugo nearly blasted me and when Kiyoshi attacked.

        Does this mean...? No, don't get ahead of yourself. This is all just a coincidence... Right?

        A black figure suddenly appeared from the corner of my eye. I narrowed my eyes when I saw Furutani coming our way. The Crimson grunt must've sensed my animosity and told me to behave. Turning to her comrade, Furutani asked her why she wasn't at her station. The grunt informed of what happened.

        "Where's my brother?" I asked.

        Furutani's gaze focused on me, lingering there for a long moment. I was starting to grow impatient with her silence, and I glared up at her. "What did you do with him? You know where he is, don't you?"

        "I did. But now--"

        I took stomped forward, anger bubbling inside. "Liar!"

        "Didn't I tell you to behave?!" the grunt shouted. She pulled me back, throwing me onto my side. I winced when my wound slammed on road. She came to kick me when Furutani stepped on her shadow.

        "Go back to your station," she ordered.

        Her underling heeded and backed off. Giving me one more side-eye, she walked away. Once she was gone, Furutani drifted over to me, speaking in a low voice.

        "You didn't let me finish. I did know where your brother was but now... I don't know of his whereabouts." She stopped in front of me, her long straggly hair daggling over me. Through the mess, I caught a ghostly eyeball peering down. "I told you...to watch yourself. It's dangerous to be here..."

        I couldn't help but scoff at her comment. Shaking my head, I said, "I might be used to encountering villains, but I'll never get tired of how they ruin everything." I tightened my hands into a fist, feeling my nails dig into my skin. "Everything was fine until you villains came."