16. Stimulate

The tip of the needle dug into Kiyoshi's arm. But as it did, a barrier made of white bone blocked it. Immediately upon making impact, the needle chipped in half. At the same time, an explosion erupted from Bakugo's palms. A cloud of smoke blew in my face as everything around me turned gray. I stuffed the syringe into my sweatshirt pocket, and I felt someone's hands shove me out of the smokescreen. As the air cleared, I saw that Kiyoshi was standing over Bakugo. He was hunched over, gasping for air.

        "I thought I told you to stop," Kiyoshi said. Ragged bone covered his entire fist and traveled up to his elbow. It looked like it was coming out of his skin.

        In response, the blond spit on his shoe. Shortly after, it shoe goes flying into his lower abdomen. While he clutched his stomach, Kiyoshi turned to me. I'm not one to feel scared but the expression he wore sent chills down my spine. He was angry, very angry, but it was the silent kind of rage. It was kind that whatever move he did next, he would do it purposefully and not out of uncontrollable emotions.

        "Why didn't you do it?" he asked, walking over. On his right arm, a small blotch of orange liquid trickled off.

        Giving him a long hard glare, I told him to leave us alone. The corner of his lips curled up.

"You look just like your father, do you know? That expression you're wearing reminds me of her though," he said. "Don't worry, I'll let your little friend go. But under one condition..."

        I didn't think it was possible, but I felt his anger intensify. I did my best to plaster a stoic face, but my hands suddenly grew sweaty, and it was hard to swallow.

        "You have to come with me."

        This guy's using the oldest trick in the book! It's so cliché but it works too well. I know that the minute I go with him, the minute he's gonna grab Bakugo and haul us both away.

        My eyes darted over to Bakugo who was still on the ground. Just a few minutes earlier, I would've felt happy if I saw him like that. In fact, I wanted to be the one pummeling him to the knees. But now... It doesn't matter how much I hate him right now, I need to get the two of us away.

        A couple of feet away from Bakugo was the figure of my phone. The screen was off. It must've shut off while Bakugo and I had our fight. If I turn it on then my conversation with Hiro will automatically pop up on the screen.

【 ɪ'ʟʟ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴀꜱᴀᴘ! 】

        Hiro suggested buying a phone with a feature that could send others my location, since I get caught up in so many villain attacks. All I have to do is press the icon near his name, and it'll send him an alert showing my current location. It'll be quicker than calling the police. The thing is, can I do it in time? This Kiyoshi guy is fast. I could reach the phone first, but there's no way I was going to be able to send the alert in time. I could try evading his attacks for a bit, but I don't know how long I'll last.

        Although Bakugo just got a beating, he was still able to move. He was slowly inching his way toward my phone, possibly having the same idea of calling for help. There was smoke practically rising out of his ears...and his hands. The image of him zooming toward me with his blasts replayed in my head.

        I'm going to need Bakugo's help if we're gonna get help in time. He's gonna have to be the one to send the text. I need a chance to tell him somehow...

        I looked back at Kiyoshi, my heart thumping. "...Okay. I'll come with you. Just... Don't do anything to him."

         The smoke around Bakugo's palms were accumulating. Kiyoshi reached over to grab me when I tried to punch him. He easily swiped my hand away. Despite the tremor in my legs, I kicked him in the crotch as hard as I could. Letting out a grunt, he gripped my arm while I struggled to escape.