23. Rescue in Motion!

I stared at myself in the reflection. I didn't realize it until now, but I didn't look so great. I don't know how much blood they drained, but it was enough to make the bags under my eyes noticeable. My hair needed a good comb, and I was in desperate need of some chap-stick.

"Your parents, your brother...are not your real family."

        He was trying to manipulate me for his own gains. There's no way that they're not my real family. I've been with them my whole life; there are photos of me as a baby to prove that!

        I sat down on the bed staring at my bare feet. My head hurt from all this thinking, or maybe it was from my blood being drained. Either way, I wasn't sure how to feel. A part of me was angry that he was trying to lie to me but another part was telling me that...

Thump...thump...thump...

        My heart began to beat faster. I could feel my blood pulse through my entire body. I was mad, so very mad that I began to tremble. Or maybe...I was scared. Scared that he had a point, scared that he was telling the truth, scared that I was all alone.

        My bedpost rattled on the floors, and my body jiggled on the bed. I heard a loud crash from the floor above followed by a horde of footsteps and voices. Something was happening. An attack? Or maybe...a rescue?

»»————-  ————-««

"Prepare to be planted!" Strawberry Shades exclaimed. A brown seed shot out of his palm and into the villain's face. Sprinting up to him, the vigilante expertly leaped, using his face as a stepping stool. He flew up in the air and locked eyes with a Crimson Eclipse member, and he dove straight toward them, knocking them to the ground.

        "Heroes are infiltrating! Grab the supplies and run!" a Crimson Eclipse grunt announcing through the intercom warned. "There's no time to fight back! Head to the tunnels and--" Before he could finish, the sound of a door getting kicked down is heard. After some sounds of struggle, a loud and jubilant voice spoke.

        "Hey, y'all! I'm unlocking all the doors!"

        Corvade, who had just finished assisting Strawberry Shades, winced. This was exactly the reason why she hated working in groups, especially if he's in it. Peering in the hallway, she recalled that the layout of the base was similar to the one the heroes raided months ago. That'll help in maneuvering through the place much easier.

        "What's the current situation on the rescue?" Corvade asked through the earpiece.

        "According to a Crimson Eclipse, they are holding the hostages somewhere in this facility," Gunhead replied amidst fighting. "We're still trying to pinpoint the exact locations, but since Present Mic and others raided the Control Room, we may be able to find where they're at."

        So it seemed like her hypothesis was correct; they were in here somewhere. As Corvade ran through the hall full of heroes and villains, she asked Present Mic on their potential whereabouts. He loudly informed her that there were several secret rooms hidden in the facility. Many of them are already getting checked out by heroes.

        Corvade asked Present Mic if there are any unchecked places left. He informed her that there was, one on the opposite side of the base. He began giving directions to Corvade while she speedily ran through the base, assisting some heroes on the way. She spotted a particular tengai'd man viciously fighting and ordered him to tag along. As they ran through, a voice buzzed into her radio.

        "Requesting backup in the cafeteria!"

        What a coincidence. They just happened to be heading straight toward the cafeteria.