The Forgotten Pharaoh - Chapter 18

Fifteen minutes later Lilliana was alone in another dim, cold terrace opposite to the one she was before. With a fresh, big drink in her hands. Instead of returning to the party where everyone would be able to see how shaken she was, she went into a even more remote part of the terrace and sat down on the railing.

She couldn't keep some tears from running down her cheeks while holding her upper arm that burned, marked for the woman's tight grip. As if by magic. She felt a little tipsy and a lot of blue.

She didn't ask for any of this. She didn't want all this complications of lost lover pharaohs and ex boyfriends and jealous women. She just wanted to enjoy being one of the youngest Egyptologists to make such a grand discover. She knew she was being weak. She must learn how to deal with all of this but for some reason no matter how hard she tried, she was always the one that end up hurt.

Feeling a presence at the corner of her eye made her look up to find a man staring down at her. His dark eyes full of the most beautiful mysteries. Damn, she thought, can this night get any worst?

- Hi. - his voice was deep and soft at the same time.

Lilliana used the back of her hand to wipe her hot tears before standing up and putting her chin up.

- Evening Mr. Khalid. I hope you enjoyed the event.

She tried to walk past him but he stepped in front of her.

- Why are you crying?

- That's none of your business. - she said taking the last of the drink.

But the more she looked at him the more she wanted to cry and throw herself in his arms. God, what is happening to me? Why do I feel like this?

- Please. Just let me go. - she begged.

- I'm afraid I cannot do that.

- Well, you did that perfectly in the last three weeks.

She noticed something in her tone made he hold his breath.

- You told me to. - he said confused.

- Yes, and out of all the times I told you to do something that was the time you chose to listen to me. Very well, just keep doing that then! - great, the alcohol was losing her tongue.

She tried to step away from him again, but he put himself in her way holding her by her naked shoulders.

- You're mad because I didn't call?

- No! I'm glad. - but tears leaked down her cheeks. - I just need to be alone, please.

She looked down trying to hide her tears from him.

- I wanted to call, more than anything. I wanted to explain. - he continued.

- It doesn't matter.

- But it does. It matters more than anything to me, Lilliana. - he put his hands on her neck and lift her head so she would look at him. - You told me not to call you. You told me you didn't want to see me. I've wanted to respect your wishes. But it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

- So just keep respecting my wishes and stay the hell away from me.

Lilliana ran from him, but before she could reach the party again she turned a corner and found herself face to face with William.

- There you are. I've been looking for you.

  xxxxxxxxx

Lilliana turned to see if Seth was coming after her, but he didn't show up.

- I just needed some air.

- Right. I was wondering if you would like to dance.

- No, sorry, not really.

- Well, so I suppose this is goodbye. I have another event to cover tonight.

- Right. Well, thanks for coming. Write a great article about my discovery, please.

- I will. I would love to talk more about it. As I told you I'll be staying in Cairo for one more week, maybe we could meet up for drinks and catch up. For the old times.
He smiled at her, caressing her shoulder.

- I'm... I'm sorry William. I've been too busy with all of this. I don't think I'll have the time.

- I understand. Well, I can see that there's  still only one place for a man in your life and it has always belonged to your pharaoh.

- That's not true. - she said sadly.

- In case you can find a time for your old friend, give me a call. - he extended her a card.

Then he grabbed her by the waist. For a moment, she thought he was gonna kiss her on the lips, but in the last second he went for her cheek.

- Goodbye, Lilly. - he whispered in her ear.