sixteen

"Minji?" I hear a familiar voice but I can't open my eyes. The pain coursing through me is unbearable. I reach for something I don't know what, but what I'm met with is not what I expected. I'm touching grass—I was literally just in my bedroom. Why am I outside? I felt a familiar touch on my shoulder and the presence of someone in front of me. After a couple of seconds I'm finally able to open my eyes and when I do I feel like my whole world stopped. Haerin. The smaller girl was crouched down in front of me looking concerned. I feel so many emotions right now: happiness, fear, love. Suddenly I feel tears threatening to escape seeing Haerin after thinking I was never going to see her again.

"You're real?" I reached out touching the cat-eyed girl's cheek just to make sure she was real and this wasn't a dream. This is real–I'm finally back. The smaller girl nodded her head still looking at me confused. I can't bear it anymore so I pull her into my arms holding her close to me. "I'm never letting you go again. Never." Haerin tried to lift herself off of me but I just pulled her closer to me holding her tightly by her waist.

"I'm not going anywhere." I heard her mumble into my neck making goosebumps to form where she was on my neck and make their way all over my body.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry Haerin I didn't want to leave. I tried to come back—I tried everyday. I really did. I just couldn't. I couldn't–" My ranting was stopped by Haerin smashing her lips into mine. The kiss was full of desperation and longing. The smaller girl climbed into my lap holding my face in between her hands. I pulled her even closer if that was possible while I ran my hand through her hair and down her back. Haerin pulled away after a couple seconds resting her forehead against mine.

"Don't leave again without telling me. I thought you were never coming back." I grabbed her face, keeping our foreheads pressed against each other while I tried to catch my breath.

"I won't. I'm so sorry." After a couple more seconds of us just breathing together Haerin removed my hands from her face as she leaned back a bit so I could see her whole face. I smiled as tears continued falling down my face. She looks so pretty right now I could scream.

"Where have you been?" As I was about to open my mouth with another lie to feed in my long list of lies I told this girl, Haerin holds her hand up stopping me from talking. "Don't lie to me this time...I know you weren't on vacation." Vacation? Damn, I guess maybe past Minji told her that since clearly they were together when I got here. Fuck were they hanging out the entire time I was gone. This outburst probably seemed crazy to her.

"I was just busy for a while—I'm sorry." Haerin sighs and tries to leave my lap, but I stop her by tightening my grip on her waist. "Don't go."

"Who was that girl? What's going on?" Huh? What girl? I tilt my head at the girl with a serious expression on her face. I genuinely have no idea what she is talking about.

"What girl?" Haerin just furrows her eyebrows and presses her pointer finger into my chest. What?

"Me?" She shakes her head with a huff.

"Where did you ask me to be your girlfriend?" That is so random? Why would she be asking that right now?

"Here at the park on the slide? What's going on?" As if what I said gave her some clarity she seemed less confused now. She looks like she just figured out something. I don't like this look.

"You told me not even five minutes ago that you couldn't remember." Fuck. Fuck you past Minji!

"I uh—well I-" Haerin pressed a finger to my mouth, silencing me for like the third time tonight.

"Who was that girl?" God damn it there is no getting out of this. I look around and there is no one else in sight just Haerin and I and animals making noise in the night.